Stunned Meat in Schools
Received: 12 August 2019
Can you please answer the questions below, on procurement of non stun meat for schools, to inform our understanding of where non stun meat is being procured and who is eating it?
By non stun meat we mean any meat where the animal was not rendered insensible to pain (stunned) before being slaughtered. In England, this means all meat that is certified shechita (kosher) and some (not all) that is certified halal.
1. Do schools in your area procure their own meat supplies?
2. If they do not, is this a function that is undertaken by the local authority or outsourced to a third party?
3. Is non stun meat procured for consumption in schools?
4. If non stun meat is procured, is this:
a) For consumption by all?
b) If it is for consumption by all, can pupils opt out of eating non stun meat?
c) For consumption only by pupils who request it?
5. If you currently procure non stun meat for consumption in schools, have you considered changing this practice and only procuring meat that is stunned before slaughter?
Outcome / Documents
- Response (not held) - application/pdf - Download