Private landlord fines
Received: 27 September 2019
Dear Freedom of information team at Barnet
I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information from your council. The questions relate to civil penalties against private landlords, introduced with the Housing and Planning Act 2016 for certain offences under the Housing Act 2004.
I am seeking the following information:
In each of the past three years,
1. How many 'notices of intent' to impose a financial penalty has your local authority issued to private landlords?
2. Subsequently, how many 'final notices' has your local authority has issued to landlords?
3. How many of these final notices were appealed by landlords?
4. How many of these appeals were successful?
5. How much income did the local authority brought in from these fines?
6. How much money has the local authority spent in legal fees preparing cases to challenge these appeals (total amount regardless of whether the appeal was dropped, upheld or dismissed). Please include equivalent costs for staff time if appropriate.
If there is any way I can help clarify my request, please let me know and respond to me by email and I can provide assistance.
Outcome / Documents
- Response (all information to be supplied) - application/pdf - Download