Food Policy and Animal Welfare
Received: 18 May 2022
1. Does your local authority have its own official food policy? If yes, please attach a copy to your response. If no, please move to question 12.
12. Has your local authority declared a climate emergency?
13. Has your authority published a climate change prevention or mitigation strategy?
14. If your authority has declared a climate emergency, or has a climate policy in place, does this policy or strategy address food and farming within climate mitigation plans? Please detail.
15. Please tick which assurance schemes the animal products you procure are sourced from:
Chicken Turkey Pork Beef Lamb Fish Milk Eggs
Red Tractor Free Range
The Lion Mark
MSC certified seafood
Other (Please specify)
16. In your authority, what type of eggs (shell and liquid) are procured for catering? Please select the minimum accepted standard using the egg codes provided:
a. Organic (0)
b. Free range (1)
c. Barn (indoor exclusively, non-caged) (2)
d. Caged (3)
e. Don't know
17. How much does your local authority spend on food per year?
18. Please provide the breakdown of expenditure for food across the following institutions:
d. Care homes
f. Government/administrative buildings
19. How much of this overall spend relates to animal-based products (meat, dairy, eggs, fish)?
20. Do you work with contract catering companies or in-house caterers? Please provide names of contract caterers tendered by your authorities, and how much is spent on each company per year.
21. Please tick any box that is relevant to your food procurement sourcing practices:
Chicken Turkey Pork Beef Lamb Fish Milk
Produced within the UK
Produced locally (within 20 miles of your local authority)
22. Please tick any box that refers to a meat product you procure that is slaughtered by the following methods:
Chicken Turkey Pork Beef Lamb Fish
23. Do you currently publicise where the food you serve is sourced from? If yes, please provide a link/attachment.
24. If you do not publish sourcing information, would you be willing to publicise this information in the future?
25. What level of importance is attributed to the following areas when procuring food? Please indicate with an X if the follow categories are Not Important, Quite Important, Very Important, Essential, Prefer not to say;
Category Not important Quite important Very important Essential Prefer not to say
Animal welfare friendly
26. Does your local authority intend to take greater account of animal welfare in future food procurement processes? Please detail.
27. What is the biggest barrier preventing your local authority from improving animal welfare in your food procurement practices?
28. Does your local authority intend to take greater account of climate change in future food procurement processes? Please detail.
29. What is the biggest barrier preventing your local authority addressing climate change in your food procurement practices?
30. Would you be open to adopting or taking additional measures to improve your food procurement practices, if expert support from FOUR PAWS UK was provided?
Outcome / Documents
- Response (all information to be supplied) - application/pdf - Download