Children who start brushing with a fluoride toothpaste in infancy are less likely to experience tooth decay than those who start brushing later. It is important to encourage healthy dental behaviour from a young age.
It is recommended you:
- Receive FREE dental care when pregnant and one year after the birth of your child
- Register with a dentist by your child’s first birthday for preventative advice and to familiarise the child with visiting the dentist
- Actively ask your dentist for fluoride varnish to be applied to your child’s teeth from the age of 3 years
Our Oral Health Promotion Service links in with children centres and families and pupils at Barnet Primary Schools to provide FREE advice to parents around dental health. The Service includes:
- Supervised tooth brushing programme helping to facilitate tooth brushing in classroom activity
- Brushing for Life packs distributed with a toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste included and information packs given to families
It is important to make sure your child is registered with a dentist. Find a dentist near you.
For general guidance and tips to care for your children’s teeth please refer to NHS advice on how to look after children's teeth.