The mental health and wellbeing of children and young people can affect them for the rest of their lives. Supporting their mental health at this early stage can help them cope better, increase future life chances and support resilience- the ability to 'bounce back'.
The growing number of children and young people experiencing poor mental health is one of the greatest challenges facing our schools. One in ten young people have some form of diagnosable mental health condition and we know that half of these are established before the age of fourteen.
Barnet CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) have developed a resilience based programme which works on the principles of a child-centred approach, involving children, young people and families at the heart.
About the programme
It takes a whole-school approach to promote and build resilience in schools and address mental health concerns early on. Resilience in schools is seen when pupils, parents/carers and staff have a greater ability to “bounce back’’ when faced with difficulties so that they can achieve positive outcomes.
The programme aims to:
- Help staff, parents and pupils to recognise their own mental well-being needs and be confident to access information to support themselves and others
- De-stigmatise mental health in schools
- Intervene early to prevent escalation of mental health problem
Based on 8 work streams:
- Support and training for staff to build skills and capacity in own resilience
- Support networks that enable pupils to develop social relationships
- Teaching and learning that develops resilient learners
- A curriculum that develops life skills including social and emotional skills
- Specific help for vulnerable pupils
- Effective partnerships with parents
- Clear vision and values that are understood and consistently communicated
- Digital Resilience
Become a resilient school
The Resilient Schools programme has 57 schools on the programme and welcomes interest from other Barnet schools for 2020/21. For further information about the Resilient Schools Programme please contact Jayne.Abbott@barnet.gov.uk or call 07849 095 164