Space Chase summer reading challenge 2019 ends on Saturday 14 September 2019
Watch the video trailer for Space Chase, the Summer Reading Challenge 2019
You sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge right up until the closing date, so if you have been on holidays and want to get rewards and prizes for the books you have read over the summer, you can!
If you have already signed up for Space Chase, you will have an extra week to collect your prizes so don't worry if you haven't finished yet!
Remember, as well as the stickers and rewards you get, you can also be entered into a prize draw if you read 2 extra books...and by completing the challenge you can help you school win a special prize!
The Reading Agency and Barnet libraries are excited to introduce Space Chase, Summer Reading Challenge 2019; an out-of-this-world adventure inspired by the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing.
Barnet’s libraries will be giving children aged between 4 and 11 years old the chance to take part in the free annual Reading Agency challenge - which offers an incentive for children to keep reading and developing their literacy skills during the summer holidays.
This summer, children will help our super space family 'The Rockets' to track down books nabbed by mischievous aliens! As they read library books, they will solve clues and collect special stickers to complete their mission folder. Can they find the aliens in time to save the day?
Children can read any six books over the summer as long as they are borrowed from a library in Barnet. The books can be fiction, non-fiction or any eBook or eAudiobook borrowed from our digital collection.
If they go on to read an extra 2 books or more in our 'extension challenge', they will received a voucher for a free children's DVD loan and will be entered into a prize draw, with a chance to win some amazing family days out, book vouchers and more!
How to take part
1. You can sign up in person for Space Chase, Summer Reading Challenge 2019 at any Barnet library during staffed hours
2. Alternatively, you can fill out an online registration form and choose how you wish to receive your Space Chase mission folder;
- Collect from the library of your choice, we will email you when your pack is ready to collect
- We can post your Space Chase 'mission folder' to an address of your choosing.
Bear in mind, you will still have to visit a library during staffed hours to collect your stickers and rewards. However, you can collect prizes in however you wish; after each book you read, every 2 books or collect them all in one go at the end!
Join us at the library for a galaxy of events this summer
Barnet libraries are delivering a huge range of free and low cost events suitable for children aged 3 and older.
- 'Sign up Saturday' special events on 13 July and 20 July – sign up and grab a selfie with Buzz Lightyear and Princess Leia!
- Meet children’s author Rebecca Patterson and learn some illustration skills
- Interactive drama workshop from Freshwater Theatre Company
- Create a mystery story with award-winning author Penny Joelson
- Robots...in...Space! Race a space buggy and learn to code a robot
- Get creative at our cosmic craft events
Our Space Chase summer events programme for 4 to 11 year olds is now available in our libraries! You can also download it below.
For summer events suitable for under fives, download the early years summer programme (PDF 0.3MB).
Following the success of last year's competition, Barnet libraries are running a second inter-school competition to see who can get the largest number of children signing up to and completing the Challenge. Last year Whitings Hill were the runaway winners and are the current holders of the Summer Reading Challenge Champions Trophy.