Personal licences

Changes to personal licence applications

Due to the Immigration Act 2016, many of the Licensing Act 2003 application forms have been amended.  

Some applications require proof of right to work in the UK. Please make sure you read through all application forms and the guidance notes before your submit your application. Make sure you have all the documents necessary to make a valid application.

Who needs a personal licence

To sell or supply alcohol you need a personal license, unless a temporary event notice (TEN) has been served.

Eligibility criteria

To obtain a personal licence you must:

  • be over 18
  • live in the borough
  • be authorised to work in the UK

How to apply

You need to submit to us:

The fee is £37.

Maintenance of your licence

As per the Deregulation Act 2015 as of the 1st April 2015 there is no requirement for a personal licence holder to renew their personal licence.  However you would need to notify us if the following changes:-

  • home address
  • name
  • If you require a replacement licence
  • If you incur any criminal convictions

All of these need to be accompanied by a letter detailing the changes, your original Personal Licence documents (or reasons why you are unable to provide these) and a cheque or Postal Order for £10.50 payable to London Borough of Barnet.


Community Protection (Regulation) Licensing Team
8th Floor
2 Bristol Avenue

Tel: 020 8359 7443

Rate this page?