Earlier this year, £67,981 was allocated by the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) to the service as a ‘one off’ fund to help keep the borough clean.
The 6th Friern Barnet Group helped collect litter at Friern Bridge Open Space.
The council has been using this funding to support community groups in the borough by offering free equipment to carry out their own litter picking events. In the summer, the council made equipment available. The equipment included litter pickers, gloves and hi vis vests. Some excellent work was carried out over the summer by community groups, scout groups and volunteers. For the autumn, equipment such as brooms, shovels and leaf grabbers will also be available.
Councillor Dean Cohen, Chair of the Environment Committee, said: “We have some wonderful groups in our borough, doing great work to clear litter from our streets and green spaces. We’re delighted and grateful to have received this money from MHCLG. Our Street Scene staff work hard to keep the borough clean, but they can’t be everywhere all the time, and our community groups really do help a lot. I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for all of their fantastic work.”
The council will also offer to collect a limited amount of waste from these litter picking events providing arrangements are made prior to the event day.
To apply for the equipment, you will need to:
- Be undertaking a clean-up event in this year (this is not limited to the town centres and can be residential streets or green spaces).
- Provide the council with details and photos of the event after it has taken place (as we must give feedback on the work to Central Government).
- Be able to collect equipment from Barnet House, 1255 High Road, Whetstone, N20 0EJ.
Please find below the list of equipment and supporting services for the autumn scheme.
- Litter pickers (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Leafing boards
- Leaf grabbers
- Hi-vis vests (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Waterproof gloves
- Gloves (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Bag holding hoops
- Waste collection from events – please make sure you contact us at least five working days before your event to arrange an agreed collection point of your litter bags after your event has finished.
To apply, please download and complete the application form