Barnet Council’s Street Cleansing service has been given £67,981 to help keep the streets of the borough clean.
This money is a ‘one off’ fund for the council to support community groups in the borough by giving them equipment to carry out their own litter picking events. This offer will be available until the funding is fully allocated.
The council will supply groups that would like to participate with equipment such as litter pickers, gloves and hi-vis vests. The equipment will be funded by the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
Councillor Dean Cohen, Chair of the Environment Committee, said: “We have some wonderful groups in our borough, doing great work to clear litter from our streets and green spaces. We’re delighted and grateful to have received this money from MHCLG. Our Street Scene staff work hard to keep the borough clean, but they can’t be everywhere all the time, and our community groups really do help a lot. I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for all of their fantastic work.”
The council is purchasing a stock of litter picking equipment to give to community groups to keep for future litter picking activities. However, the stock will be limited and once issued on a first come first serve award, the opportunity will no longer be available.
The council will also offer to collect a limited amount of waste from these litter picking events providing arrangements are made prior to the event day.
To apply for the equipment, you will need to:
- Be undertaking a clean-up event in this year (this is not limited to the town centres and can be residential streets or green spaces).
- Provide the council with details and photos of the event after it has taken place (as we must give feedback on the work to Central Government).
- Be able to collect the equipment from Oakleigh Depot, Oakleigh Road South, Barnet, N11 1HJ.
The list of equipment and supporting services for the scheme:
- Litter pickers (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Bag holding hoops
- Gloves (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Hi-vis vests (available in regular and smaller sizes for children)
- Waste Collection From events – please make sure you contact us to arrange an agreed collection point prior to your event day
We are currently not accepting applications for equipment at this stage but please look out for further information on our social media pages @BarnetCouncil and newsletters for updates on litter picking equipment available later this year.