The Blue Badge scheme helps disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services by allowing them to park close to their destination.
The Blue Badge can be used in any vehicle in which the holder is travelling. The holder doesn’t have to be the driver. Blue Badges are issued only to people with permanent and substantial disabilities which affect mobility.
Who can qualify for a Blue Badge
You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if one of the following applies:
- you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- you receive the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you meet a descriptor from the 'moving around' activity with a score of 8 or more points, in which case the expiry date of the badge will be linked to the end date of the benefit if this is less than 3 years
- you’re registered blind
- you receive a War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- you’ve been awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and are certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes the inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
You may be eligible for a Blue Badge if one of the following applies:
- you drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
- you have a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
You may be invited to a mobility assessment with an Occupational Therapist to confirm if you’re eligible for a Blue Badge.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
Apply or renew a Blue Badge online at GOV.UK
You must provide proof of identity, address and a passport quality photograph to support your application.
- proof of identity, eg passport, driving licence or National Identity Card
- a passport sized photograph with your name on the reverse
Your address details will be validated by the Assisted Travel team, providing you’ve consented to the council checking any information already held by its departments, for example, Housing Benefit and Council Tax. Alternatively, please provide proof of address in the form of a valid driving licence, a current benefit letter or a tenancy agreement.
Renewal reminders are sent out 12 weeks prior to the badge expiry date. The badge holder is responsible for applying to renew their badge.
Please allow up to 8 weeks for us to process your application.
A Blue Badge may be issued to organisations that care for and transport disabled people who meet the eligibility criteria for a Blue Badge.
If a number of people in the organisation are eligible for a Blue Badge then it would be more appropriate for those persons to apply for their own Blue Badges.
Organisation Badges will only be issued to an organisation which both:
- cares for and transports disabled persons who meet one or more of the eligibility criteria for an individual Blue Badge
- has a clear need for an organisation Blue Badge rather than using personal Blue Badges of the people it's transporting
In all circumstances, Blue Badges will be supplied to organisations or departments (for example, a social services department) rather than to individual staff members.
An organisation’s employees must only use the Blue Badge to transport disabled people in their care who meet one or more of the Blue Badge’s eligibility criteria.
If employees use the Blue Badge for parking concessions when there are no passengers in the vehicle who are eligible for a Blue Badge, they’ll face a fine of up to £1,000.
Apply for an organisation Blue Badge
Download and complete:
Blue Badge costs
You’ll be charged a £10 administration fee if your application is successful. You must pay this before the Badge is issued. Your Blue Badge will be ordered after we’ve taken your payment. All Blue Badges are administrated centrally.
Allow up to 10 days from the date of payment for your Blue Badges to arrive.
Lost, stolen or replacement Blue Badges
All replacement badges cost £10.
- If it’s stolen, you should report it to the police, who'll give you crime number.
- To apply for a replacement Blue Badge download and complete the
Change of address
If you've changed address, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a good quality copy of a 'proof of address' and include your reference number.
A proof of address can be:
- Valid driving licence
- Council Tax Bill dated within the last 12 months
- Award letter from Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
- Benefit award letter from the DWP
- Housing benefit (or other type of benefit) award letter dated within the 12 months
Blue Badges misuse/fraud
Contact the Assisted Travel Team if you believe that a Blue Badge is being misused. Please include the date, time, location, vehicle registration and Blue Badge Number. You could be prosecuted and fined up to £1,000 and/or have the badge withdrawn if you misuse your badge or allow someone else to misuse it.
Expired Blue Badges
Expired Blue Badges must be returned to the London Borough of Barnet. This also applies to Blue Badges which were issued to a person who has since died.
Read The Blue Badge Scheme: rights and responsibilities in England for more information on your rights and responsibilities, and how to use your Blue Badge.
Where to park using your Blue Badge
- park for up to 3 hours on a yellow line waiting restriction (single or double - the restriction is the same, but double lines apply 24-hours a day) - the accompanying clock must be displayed and the correct time of arrival set
- park for unlimited periods at Pay-by-Phone parking places, unless signage specifies a maximum stay
- park at disabled badge holder parking places, either for an unlimited time or for the time shown on nearby signs
How to use the Blue Badge and clock
The Blue Badge and clock must be displayed for the concessions to apply. Disability parking concessions don’t apply simply because of the vehicle excise duty (tax disc) classification, or because the driver is a Blue Badge holder.
If the Blue Badge and clock are not displayed a vehicle may be issued with a penalty charge notice.