Suspend a parking bay
About parking bay suspensions
Suspending a parking place stops people from parking in it if you need to park a specific vehicle, preserve clear access, work on the highway or store materials. Additional licenses or permissions will be required for certain activities.
We normally suspend permit or paid parking places, however other types of bay may be suspended in exceptional circumstances.
We can’t guarantee that people will not park in a suspended bay, but if they do they’ll get a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) and in certain circumstances the vehicle may be relocated or removed. If you wish to report a vehicle parked in contravention of a parking suspension you can phone our 24-hour enforcement line on 0203 856 0020
You can view parking restrictions to identify parking places to be suspended by searching the map at the Traffweb website. This map will help you locate Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) information, Resident and Business Parking Bays or Parking Restrictions in London Borough of Barnet.
Please be advised that it is the applicant’s responsibility to check that an application matches the parking places available before submitting a suspension request. While we may contact you for clarification, an incorrect application may be delayed or result in the wrong bays being suspended.
Parking places on the public highway can be suspended in certain circumstances, for example for:
- building works
- utility works
- special events
If you need to restrict the use of a location where parking is not normally subject to any restriction, or need to change the use of a location where waiting restrictions apply, you will need to contact the street works team to request a Temporary Traffic Order.
If you’re carrying out building work and require a skip you’ll need to get a skip operator licence
If a suspension application is approved we will provide clear signage to show that the bay is suspended from normal use and waiting and loading is prohibited. The signage will include the extent, duration and purpose of the suspension.
If you request the suspension of a parking place that has already been suspended by another customer or is otherwise unavailable we will contact you to advise.
If you request a parking suspension for the purpose of building works, vehicles connected with those works must park within the suspended area.
Apply for a parking bay suspension
Applications must be submitted at least 5 working days prior to the date you require your suspension to start.
To apply for a parking bay suspension you will need:
- exact location of the bay suspension(s)
- reason for the bay suspension
- number of parking spaces (each bay is 5m in length)
- email address
- your credit or debit card details, we do not accept AMEX
Parking suspensions are charged at a daily rate of £45.00 per day for a resident permit parking space (a 5-metre length), and £60.00 per day for an on street paid parking place (a 5-metre length). There is also an administration fee of £145.00 per application.
You should pay in advance of the suspension being carried out. However, if payment can’t be made in advance we’ll need a purchase order number, with payment being provided shortly afterwards.
Cancellations or changes
Should you need to change or cancel the suspension you have booked, please contact our Suspension Team as soon as possible.
Please note that cancelling your booking within your permit account will not cancel the booking. It will not normally be possible to change the location or start date of a suspension with less than five days’ notice.
If the signs have already been put on street then we cannot amend a booking and no refund can be issued.
If you need to cancel or amend your suspension (providing the signs have not already been put on street) then there may be additional amounts to pay for amendments and we will too advise you of any refund due.
The administration charge amount for £145.00 per booking is non-refundable.
Contact us for further help
You can contact us by email Suspension Team or by telephone 0208 359 7446. Our lines are open Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5.15 pm and Friday 9 am to 5 pm.
Parklet locations which we cannot suspend
In order to help businesses make the most of the outdoor space in front of their premises some parking bays around the borough have been suspended to allow the installation of parklets. These locations are listed below. If you require a suspension in the vicinity of these locations, you must contact the suspension team discuss options before making an application.
We cannot suspend parking bays which have been repurposed as a parklet but will do our best to assist with your requirements.
You can also find general information about these measures here.
Chipping Barnet Town Centre
Ye Old Monken Holt, 193, High Street, EN5 5SU
East Finchley Town Centre
- Cafe Casa Pepe, 89, High Road,N2 8AG
- Maddens Bar, 130, High Road, N2 9ED
Edgware Town Centre
- A and A Sable Pasty and Bakery, 206, Station Road, HA8 7AR
- Liam’s Coffee House, 238 Station Road, HA8 7AU
- Eli's Pizza, 7, Edgwarebury Lane, HA8 8LH
- Shefa Mehadrin, 9, Edgwarebury Lane, HA8 8LH
Finchley Central Town Centre
- Impact Store, 6, Station Road, N3 2RY
- Bespoke Café,103, Ballards Lane, N3 1XY
- Finchley Glass,166, Ballards Lane, N3 2PA
- Annies Free House,168 Ballards Lane, N3 2PA
- Glow Tanning & Beauty,170, Ballards Lane, N3 2PA
Golders Green Town Centre
- Hosh Golden Sheesh Ltd, 40-42, Golders Green Road, NW11 8LL
- Monsoon Bathroom and Tiles, 80, Golders Green Road, NW11 8LN
- Hummus Bar, 82, Golders Green Road, NW11 8LN
- Florentin, 85, Golders Green Road, NW11 8EN
- Norwood Ravenswood Charity, 87, Golders Green Road, NW11 8EN
- Pita, 102, Golders Green Road, NW11 8HB
Hendon Town Centre
- La Brioche, 81 to 83, Brent Street, NW4 2DY
- Capelli London Wigs,132, Brent Street, NW4 2DR
- Visa Place, 134, Brent Street, NW4 2DR
Mill Hill Town Centre
- North London Hospice, 18, The Broadway, NW7 3LL
- Mani and Nick, 20, The Broadway, NW7 3LL
- Tux Lux, 24, The Broadway, NW7 3LL
- Café Broadway, 26, The Broadway, NW7 3LL
- Simple Coffee, 53, The Broadway, NW7 3DA
- Natwest, 55, The Broadway, NW7 3DA
- BlueBelles of Portobello, 57, The Broadway, NW7 3DA
North Finchley Town Centre
- Bangkok Taste, 355, Ballards Lane, N12 8LJ
- Boulangerie Joie de Vie, 359, Ballards Lane, N12 8LJ
- Lezziz Grill Restaurant, 361, Ballards Lane, N12 8LJ
- My Caffe, 731, High Road, N12 0BP
- MKs Cafe, 787, High Road, N12 8JT
- HSBC Bank, 789 -791, High Road, N12 8JX
- Safa Carpet Flooring & Kitchen Appliances, 816, High Road, N12 9QY
Temple Fortune Town Centre
- Optikal Optician, 24, Temple Fortune Parade, Finchley Road, NW11 0QS
- Joie de vie café, 25, Temple Fortune Parade, Finchley Road, NW11 0QS
- Daniel Footware, 26, Temple Fortune Parade, Finchley Road, NW11 0QS
- Gail's Bakery, 30, Temple Fortune Parade, NW11 0QX
- One Ashboure, 1255, Finchley Road, NW11 0AD
Whetstone Town Centre
Seventeen Fish Bar, 50-52, Totteridge Lane, N20 9QJ