Walking is a great way to get more exercise in to your day, helping to improve your health and well-being.
Taking part in one of our friendly health walks gives you:
- the option of walking together with other people
- meeting other people
- exploring your local area
Health walks in Barnet parks
We have 7 organised health walks every week in our parks and open spaces, led by qualified and experienced instructors.
The walks are suitable for anyone over the age of 18 and are graded for their difficulty to help you find a walk that’s suitable for you.
- one organised health walk costs £2.80
- block book 10 walks for £22.40 or £18 if you are aged 60 years and over (proof required e.g. drivers license or a document containing date of birth)
- please pay on the of your walk by cash or cheque.
Free health walk with a FAB card
Get your first health walk for free and save a further 10 per cent on block bookings with a FAB Card. To register for your card visit the Better Leisure website
Health walks timetable
Seven health walks are available each week and are graded for their difficulty to help you find a walk that’s suitable for you.
|Day of the week||start time||finish time||location||difficulty grading|
|Monday||9.30am||10.30am||Woodside Park, N20 (meet at the
junction of Laurel View and Laurel Way
at the gate to Whetstone Stray)
|Tuesday||9.30am||10.30am||Hampstead Heath, NW11 (meet at
North End Road, top entrance by café
and disabled car park, Golders Hill)
|Wednesday||9.30am||10.30am||Friary Park, N12 (meet at gate in
Torrington Park opposite Ashurst Way
- Torrington Park)
|Thursday||9.30am||10.30am||Hampstead Heath, NW11 (Heath
Extension meets opposite Hampstead Way)
|Saturday||9.30am||10.30am||Woodside Park, N12 (meet at the entrance
to Dollis Valley Walk opposite Chanctonbury
Way - Finchley Central – Southover)
|Sunday||9am||10am||Orange Tree Public House/Totteridge,
N20 (meet outside the Public House -
|Sunday||10.30am||11.30am||Hampstead Heath, NW11 (meet at the
top of the Heath Extension on Wildwood
Road, 20 metres from Hampstead Way
Before you start your health walk
- no pre-booking required, just turn up and walk - remember to take your fee for the walk
- dogs are not invited to the walks as other people may feel uncomfortable around animals
- wear appropriate walking shoes that are comfortable such as trainers or sturdy boots
- wear clothing that you can freely move in and dress accordingly for the weather
At the health walk
- your health walk instructor will safely lead the group around the park/open space observing all health and safety protocols.
- all the health walk instructors are qualified and incredibly friendly and will be on hand to provide some useful warm up, cool down and stretching tips to keep you in tip top form.
What some of our health walkers have to say
Daphne, a Barnet resident who joined her local Health Walk eight years ago when her husband became unwell, found the walks therapeutic and say they helped her to feel supported during a difficult time, she said:
“The mental benefits of the walks, have helped me cope with my husband's terminal illness, and consequently through bereavement. I enjoy the social camaraderie, and the walks keep me supple.
“I enjoy seeing the changing environment with the seasons, the fitness aspects attached, and the valuable exchange of ideas which stimulate my hobbies.
“The walks are accessible to most people, and the physical improvements I noticed, give me confidence to try other forms of exercise. This has helped me lose weight, and prevent depression.
“I find the walks invigorating, connecting and social. They give me knowledge of my local area and lovely places to walk where I wouldn’t venture on my own.”
Sport & Physical Activity team
North London Business Park
Oakleigh Road South
Tel: 020 8359 6314