Apply for building regulations approval

You must decide on the type of application for your planned build, extension or alteration work.

Both full plans and building notice types of application need to be submitted before you start work.

Full plans

The most common type of application we receive for building works is a full plans application. You can expect a decision within 5 weeks, or 2 months with your consent.

In this case, you as the building owner or your agent or architect submit an application with plans showing full details of the work together with any relevant structural calculations.

Once we've checked your plans and are satisfied they meet the building regulations you'll receive a formal decision known as an approval notice. Please note: this approval notice may be important when seeking loans or moving home.

You can submit this application using the Building Control application service for England and Wales: 

Full plans application

Building notice

A building notice is generally used for minor works to domestic properties such as removal of an internal load-bearing wall, where the person carrying out the work is familiar with current building regulations.

Work may start 48 hours after submission of the application. There's no plan checking involved before work begins and therefore we won't issue an approval notice.

It can't be used when the works will involve building over or within three metres of a public sewer.

If you're submitting a building notice you must feel confident that the work will comply with the current building regulations as when we inspect the work if it doesn't, you risk having to rectify this at your own expense.

For further guidance, please download the advice leaflet here.

You can submit this application using the Building Control application service for England and Wales.

Building notice application


You can apply for 'regularisation' - retrospective approval for work already carried out without consent.

Only work carried out after 11 November 1985 can be approved in this way.

You may need to make alterations before we can agree the work complies and give you a regularisation certificate.

You may have to correct the work or pay a fine if building regulations aren't followed.

You can submit this application using the Building Control application service for England and Wales.

Regularisation application

Electrical installation

Use Electrical Installation, along with the Building Notice application form, when a person registered under the Competent Person Scheme does not carry out electrical work.

Notice of commencement

Use Notice of commencement once you know the date that you going to be starting the work. Please note: that this should only be submitted if a Building Notice or a Full Plans application has already been deposited with Building Control.

This form is also included with the paper version of the full plans and building notice applications or you can download a copy here.

Notice of demolition

If you are planning to carry out demolition work to a building greater than 50m3 in volume (some exemptions apply) you will need to notify us before you start work. You can download a copy of the notification form here or use the above link to complete the form online.  The Building Act states that no one can start demolition work unless the local authority has been notified and the local authority has served a counter notice.  Demolition works may legally commence after the person intending to demolish has served a Notice under Section 80 of the Act and we have served a counter Notice under Section 81 of the Act or six weeks have elapsed since notifying us of your intention.

We are entitled to charge for the reasonable expenses of reviewing a Section 80 notice and preparing a notice under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984, and supervision of work on any site. Fees are payable by the person who has issued the intended demolition notice under Section 80  with a minimum charge of £265.00 payable with submission of this notice. Payment methods accepted included cheque or Credit/Debit card.

In order for us to process a Demolition Notice, the application should be accompanied by the following:

  • A site location plan
  • Confirmation that support to and/or weather protection of exposed parts of adjacent buildings if applicable
  • Confirmation that an asbestos site survey has or will be carried out and any asbestos will be removed by a competent, licenced contractor
  • Confirmation that the site is suitably fenced or hoarded
  • The required demolition fee
  • A 24hr emergency phone number

Pre-application advice

More information on this service


Barnet Council will collect and use the information you give us to undertake our functions as a local authority and deliver services to you. It is our responsibility to ensure that your information is kept safe. Where necessary and legally allowed, we will share your information with trusted external organisations, commissioned partners and contracted service providers in order to deliver services and support to you.

The information we collect may be used to better understand your use of our services and assist us in improving our services. This is to ensure we are using public funds in the best possible way. Under our duty to protect public money we may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of crime. For further details of how we use your information and to understand your rights please visit

Comments on planning applications and the name and address of the commenter are published online. Please do not include any personal information you would not be happy to be publicly available in your comment. Please do not include personal information of others without their permission. People requesting to speak at planning committee will need to consent to their name and email address to be disclosed to other individuals who have requested to speak.

Rate this page?