Building a thriving West Hendon Broadway consultation now live
The council is working with Barratt London and Metropolitan Housing Trust to produce a vision for West Hendon Broadway. This is to ensure the high street benefits from the changes that are already happening in the area, but we need your help. We want to work in collaboration with local businesses and residents to ensure the vision reflects what people want and need locally.
To begin this process we are asking people to complete our short questionnaire to help us determine what you think about your high street and what you would like to see change. Take part in the consulation
About West Hendon
The regeneration of the West Hendon estate, in the south-west of the borough, aims to create a new mixed neighbourhood of social, private and affordable homes with a range of benefits, including a new school and community centre.
Existing homes on the West Hendon Estate do not meet the Decent Homes Standard. The development scheme will provide a mix of properties to reflect the broad range of home owners in the rest of the borough and London as a whole.
The existing community will be resettled within a new neighbourhood with existing homes replaced with new mixed tenure housing. A more accessible environment will be created where people can walk easily through the neighbourhood, with the creation of a green boulevard that will link York Park with the retail area of West Hendon Broadway. The scheme also includes improved transport links and the creation of a commercial hub. Delivery of new homes is expected to complete in 2027.
The regeneration and growth programme in West Hendon will deliver:
- 2,194 new homes
- Two new bridges and the creation of a vista, providing a pedestrian thoroughfare from Hendon train station to the rest of the estate
- Improvements along the A5 and Station Road and removal of the gyratory system
- Improved A5 crossings and pedestrian links to Hendon train station
- Community facilities
- EcoHomes standard for new homes
- Sustainably built commercial buildings
- Two-form community school for around 400 pupils
- A new nursery
- A new town centre and commercial hub with new shops and restaurants
- 1000 full time construction jobs, 126 full time non-construction jobs
- Lifetime Homes standards and better quality homes will lead to improved health and living conditions for the residents on the estate
- Improvements to York Park
- Creation of a green boulevard that will link York Park with West Hendon Broadway
Delivering for Barnet in West Hendon has already delivered:
- Completion of Phase 1 and 2 delivering 194 properties
- Phase 3A completed delivering 358 properties
- Launch of the Community Trust with associated funding for community projects
- Completion of the Interim Community Hub
The following will be delivered in 2018:
Phase 3B – delivering 206 new residential properties by the end of 2018.
Barratt Metropolitan Limited Liability Partnership
Information updated 10 September 2018