Did you know that getting on your bike regularly can help you lose weight, reduce stress and improve your fitness?
Cycling is suitable for people of all ages and abilities, and it's one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine because it's a form of transport. It also saves you money, gets you fit and is good for the environment.
Free monthly Dr Bike sessions in Barnet
Have your bicycle checked and minor repairs fixed for free on the first Thursday of each month (2nd Thursday in January) from 4 pm to 7 pm at the following locations:
- 4th April: Golders Green tube station, Finchley Road, by the train bridge
- 2nd May: opposite East Finchley tube station
- 6th June: adjacent to Colindale tube station
- 4th July: by Finchley Central tube station at the junction of Ballards Lane and Regents Park Road
- 1st August: Mill Hill Broadway train station by The Broadway
- 5th Sept: Golders Green tube station, Finchley Road, by the train bridge
- 3rd Oct: opposite East Finchley tube station
- 7th Nov: adjacent to Colindale tube station
- 5th Dec: by Finchley Central tube station at the junction of Ballards Lane and Regents Park Road
- 9th Jan 2020: Mill Hill Broadway train station by The Broadway
- 6th Feb: Golders Green tube station, Finchley Road, by the train bridge
- 5th Mar: opposite East Finchley tube station.
The Police will also be there to security mark bicycles and offer advice.
Free Cycle Skills training if you live, work or study in Barnet
Whether you're a first-time rider or a regular cyclist looking to improve your skills and are aged sixteen or older, we provide free, tailored courses to suit your individual abilities and goals.
Learn to cycle with a free session tailored to you. You'll practice in a safe, off-road environment with a fully qualified instructor. In a session you'll learn the basics, build skills and gain confidence to navigate your local area.
Improve your cycling skills and confidence with a free session tailored to you. You'll start in a safe, off-road environment to refresh your cycling technique and develop new skills before moving on to practice on quiet roads.
Perfect your cycling techniques with a free one-to-one session with a fully qualified trainer. Improve your performance when dealing with complex junctions, heavy traffic or cycling at night and receive assurance that you are cycling efficiently and effectively.
Gain confidence and learn skills to cycle as a family with a free family cycling session. In the session a qualified instructor will teach you how to cycle with children, using quiet routes and parks.
Last year 657 individuals received Cycle Skills and Family training.
Bike routes in Barnet parks
Our Marked and Measured Routes located in many of our parks around the borough are pre-plotted routes that people of all ages and abilities can ride at their own convenience.
NHS Choices provides more information about cycling and equipment needed to get you started.
Cycling to school
Cycling to school can be a convenient and healthy way to get to school, more information can be found on our walking and cycling to school page
Bicycle security marking
If you are interested in getting your bicycle security marked, please get in contact with the Metropolitan Police's Barnet Safer Transport Team.
Telephone 0208 733 5570 or email: STT.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Barnet Safer Transport Team are offering free bicycle security marking for anyone who lives, works or studies in Barnet. The initiative is free of charge and they will attend a home or work address or educational establishment.