Shared Lives Barnet is a support provider registered with the Care Quality Commission.
Our service provides carers who support from their home and help manage your lifestyle and schedule.
Shared Lives can be a steppingstone for you if you are looking to eventually live independently. Your placement will help you gain confidence and experience without the support of your family or current carer.
The carers we recruit are carefully assessed. They are DBS checked, their homes are risk assessed and you'll be provided with on-going support after you are a matched with a carer.
What is a Shared Lives carer
As a carer, you'll share your home and family life with a young person or a vulnerable adult who needs support.
We will match you with someone who needs support, based on compatibility.
You could be matched with a young person with learning or physical disabilities or an older person with frail mental health or dementia.
People needing support often come from foster care, assisted living or have just left hospital after treatment.
Our carers might help people to:
- get dressed
- go to appointments
- make friends within the community
A carer has a responsibility to help the individual try to reach their goals. You might need to plan fun activities or provide a place for someone to move in for a short period of time.
How we support carers
Shared Lives Barnet supports you by:
- matching you with a compatible individual
- providing essential training
- offering on-going assistance
We will work with you to provide flexible options to suit your circumstances and needs.
How to become a Shared Lives Carer
- have enthusiasm, motivation and commitment
- be willing to take part in activities and confidence building
- provide a safe environment
- commit to a sustainable living situation by providing respite services for existing carers (day support), live in placements or overnight stays
It would be great if you also have:
- care experience
Apply to be a Shared Lives carer
Contact us via email Shared.Lives@barnet.gov.uk
Call us on 0208 359 3576
Salary and benefits
You will be paid to be a Shared Lives carer.
Sharing your life can also bring you purpose, passion, and progression.
- a generous tax-free allowance (starting from £23,000)
- self-employment status (we can support you with advice for legal and tax arrangements)
- the flexibility to work as a Shared Lives carer alongside working other jobs
- a dedicated scheme worker to talk you through the process and offer support
- guidance and training for your role
- discounts and the opportunity to join a membership network
Shared Lives is consistently rated top of the Social Care service by the Care Quality Commission
Shared Lives testimonials
Ben and Caroline’s story
“Ben’s life has transformed and so has my son’s”
Follow us on social
You can join the community on our Facebook page
You can use this section to securely:
- Submit a notification of hospitalization / change in circumstance / annual leave request / other
- Submit any accidents / incidents / near miss reports
- Submit your monthly report
You may also use this form to securely contact your shared lives worker.
If you have any issues please get in touch with your allocated shared lives worker or call Shared Lives Barnet on 020 8359 3576.