Our sustainability journey so far
Our Sustainability Strategy Framework was approved
In December 2021, Policy and Resource Committee approved the Barnet Sustainability Strategy Framework.
This framework outlined our net zero commitments and our high-level strategy and plans to meet them.
Reaching our net zero target will mean that we have significantly reduced our carbon emissions and then offset any remaining emissions.
The framework is based on our carbon baseline
Our carbon baseline was produced in collaboration with EY and identified the sources of emissions for Barnet council and for the borough.
Hosted resident engagement workshops
In March 2022, we held workshops to hear your views on the Sustainability Strategy Framework.
Made our targets more ambitious
In May 2022, we reviewed our targets, making them more ambitious. We’re now committed to being:
- net zero as an organisation by 2030
- net zero as a borough as soon as possible after we’ve achieved it as an organisation but by 2042 at the latest
A lot of work is happening in Barnet to reach these targets which now being brought together with a new Sustainability team.
A full update was given to the Environment and Climate Change Committee in June 2022
Important actions we've taken recently
- declared a Climate Emergency
- joined the London Anti-Idling Campaign
- installed 200 electric vehicle charge points across the borough
- completed the RE:FIT project, which installed energy saving measures on the corporate estate, such as libraries and council offices
- started to fund heat decarbonisation and energy efficiency measures on our land and buildings, through the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme
- secured over £1m of funding to retrofit Barnet social housing through the Green Homes Grant scheme, making it more energy efficient
- replaced our street lights with LED lighting, reducing our energy consumption and our carbon footprint