Silver Sunday was launched in 2012 by The Sir Simon Milton Foundation and Westminster City Councillor Christabel Flight, after a report discovered more than a third of people over 75 said they were lonely. The aim then was to celebrate older residents, recognise their contribution to their communities and help them get out and about to meet new people.
Barnet's Silver Week celebration gives opportunities to try what is on offer in the local community, launch new services and improve health and wellbeing while reducing social isolation and loneliness.
Events and activities for Barnet's Silver Week 2019 will take place as follows:
Silver Week: 1 - 6 October 2019
International day of older persons: Tuesday 1 October 2019
The Prevention and Wellbeing Team (Adults and Health) at Barnet Council have supported local Voluntary and Community Sector (VCS) organisations celebrating Silver week for 4 years. They have used it as a platform to showcase the Preventative Services within the borough. In 2018 the VCS Partners in Barnet, local business and residents with the support of the Prevention and Wellbeing Team organised a range of exciting activities.
Barnet Silver Week 2018 was a roaring success involving over 61 of our local organisations, partners and teams.
Together we hosted over 80 activities and events throughout the borough including:
- 26 sport and leisure activities including opportunities to dance together
- 10 opportunities for pampering, beauty therapies including time to relax
- 16 information events covering a range of topics including, health and wellbeing, local history, support available and avoiding scams
- 11 Afternoon teas/coffee mornings, an opportunity to socialise and meet new people
As a direct result of Barnet Silver Week:
- 167 Health and Wellbeing consultations were carried out including Diabetes screening and 22 Hearing screening sessions.
- Over all 1277 people had meaningful conversations / took park in events and activities throughout the week. Many events had new people attending. 127 people signed up / continue to attend activities following Barnet Silver Week.
- We hosted showcase events with information and advice and performances at Brent Cross Shopping Centre and The Spires.
Silver Sunday Afternoon Tea hosted by London Borough of Barnet and the Barnet Seniors Assembly was attended by over 350 people. The event had 15 Stalls with local information and advice and performances from organisations. All showcasing what is on offer including:
- Age UK Exercise
- GLL Ballet Dancers
- Araswati Bollywood Dancers
- Sing-a-Long with JOY
During the event the Mayor and local councillors also announced the Art Competition winners, and awarded prizes to residents of support housing and care homes for their work.
Feedback from the event: 82% of attendees rated the event ‘excellent/good’ and 18% said it was ‘useful’.
Silver Week 1-7 October 2017 (PDF) celebrated the value and knowledge older people contribute to our communities.
Get in touch
Email the Prevention and Wellbeing Team at email@example.com or call 020 8359 7573.