Accessibility statement for www.barnet.gov.uk and third-party websites
This statement applies to Barnet Council websites and third-party web applications and websites
This website is run by London Borough of Barnet. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 400% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible is this website
This website is fully accessible, with the following exceptions:
- Many of our PDFs and Word documents don’t currently meet accessibility standards
- Some of our online forms provided by 3rd parties do not provide a visible focus
- Link text to external websites may not resize correctly on some mobile devices
- The on page satisfaction survey does not work well with screen readers, it is also not accessible for keyboard only users
Fully compliant sites
The following Barnet sites are fully compliant:
- Barnet Council (this site)
- Barnet joint strategic needs assessment
- Working with children in Barnet
- Barnet's supplier portal
- Barnet my account
As are the following third-party sites:
- Traffic orders for London Borough of Barnet
- Barnet applicant gateway
- School eadmissions
- Barnet childcare directory
And following third-party sites have their own fully compliant accessibility statements:
- Barnet SENDIASS survey - SENDIASS survey statement
- Barnet RBdigital - RB digital statement
- Barnet open data - Open data statement
- Engage Barnet - Engage Barnet statement
- Barnet library catalogue - Library statement
- Hendon Hub - Hendon Hub Statement
Partially compliant sites
We are working with the providers of these sites to ensure full compliance:
The following third-party sites have their own partially compliant accessibility statements:
- Barnet parking permits - Parking permits statement
- Barnet overdrive - Overdrive statement
- Barnet borough photos - Borough photos statement
- Borrow box - Borrow box statement
- Penalty charge notice payments - PCN payments statement
- Tennis clubs in Barnet - Tennis clubs statement
- Barnet procurement portal - Procurement portal statement
Third-party websites that are not compliant
We are currently working with the suppliers of the following sites to ensure their compliance:
- Barnet open portal
- Planning applications search
- Transforming Brent Cross Cricklewood
- Barnet local offer
- Penalty charge notice viewer
- Barnet safeguarding children partnership
- Barnet 0-19 early help service
- Barnet homes
- Barnet on point
What to do if you can’t access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille email email@example.com.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems that aren’t listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Hearing loops are available in our reception areas.
If you contact us before your visit we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Find out how to contact us.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
London Borough of Barnet is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard.
The content listed is non-accessible for the following reasons.
PDFs and Word documents
Many of our PDFs and Word documents don’t currently meet accessibility standards, they do not comply with WCAG 2.1 criteria 2.4.5 multiple ways. We will be conducting a full review of our PDF estate within the next 12 months in order to fix these issues.
Resizing of links on mobile devices
Link text to external websites may not resize correctly on some mobile devices. This does not comply with WCAG 2.1 criteria 1.4.4 Resize text. We are working with our design agency to fix this by end of October 2020.
On page satisfaction survey
Screen readers are not able to fully read the content of this survey.
Not every element of the survey is accessible for keyboard only users.
Active focus is not visible on every element of the survey.
All controls do not have a proper label or name, ensuring that screen readers can convey the correct information.
Links do not have a title attribute
Controls, such as check/radio boxes are not be defined
The supplier is reviewing how they can further provide access through the use of the keyboard.
We are working with the provider of this technology, Hotjar, to fix these issue by the end of June 2021.
Online tools and transactions
Some of our online tools and transactions are built and hosted through third-party software and made to look like our website. Some of these do not meet WCAG 2.1 accessibility guidelines.
We are currently in the process of assessing the complexity and costs of fixing the issues with our third-party providers. We will publish our road map. We will update this as we identify and assess the issues.
We will also publish any assessment if we claim there is a disproportionate burden.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word documents. We plan to either fix these or replace them with accessible HTML pages.
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents don’t meet accessibility standards - for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
The accessibility regulations don’t require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
How we tested this website
This website was last tested on 29 September 2020. The test was carried out by London Borough of Barnet Digital Web team using the SiteImprove tool and the Axe tool.
We tested our main website platform, available at www.barnet.gov.uk
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We are working on an accessibility roadmap which will show how and when we plan to improve accessibility on this website.
This statement was prepared on 1 September 2019. It was last updated on 19 May 2021.