Adult social care comments and complaints

We welcome your feedback about your experience of care, this helps us to keep improving services.

We believe you should receive the best possible service that is responsive and appropriate to your needs and have the opportunity to take part in making them better.


If you're happy with a service you're received or a particular member of staff, then let us know.

Please send your feedback to:

Complaints and Information Manager
2 Bristol Avenue


Telephone: 020 8359 4299

Complaints about service providers 

If you want to make a complaint about a service you receive from a support or care provider, including a care home, tell the service provider directly using their complaints procedure.

If you have made a complaint to a service provider and are unhappy with their investigation or the outcome you can contact us.

We will then consider handling the complaint on your behalf.

Complaints about services provided by Barnet Council  

To make a complaint you can:                                     

How we manage your complaint

We aim to acknowledge your complaint no later than 3 working days after receipt and contact you to understand the issues or concerns raised.

All new complaints will be assessed in relation of their seriousness and how likely the issue is to recur, so that appropriate and proportionate action can be taken in response.

We will agree with you a suitable time to response to your complaint.

We aim to respond to most complaints within 20 to 25 working days depending on the complexity.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, please let us know within 20 working days.

We will contact you to discuss options available to seek a resolution, which include:

  • getting a second opinion
  • meeting to discuss matters
  • arranging for mediation or an independent investigation

Appealing to the Local Government Ombudsman

If we have not been able to resolve your issues for you and you remain dissatisfied at the end of our complaints process, then you may appeal directly to the Local Government Ombudsman(LGO)

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

The LGO provides a free, independent and impartial complaints service for people who use social care services, whether they fund and arrange their own care or they receive funding from their local council.

Download the Adults and Health Complaints Procedure (PDF, 525 KB)

Help with making a complaint

Complaints Procedure 

Follow our easy read leaflet (PDF, 3.93 MB) that can help you to make a complaint. 

Citizens Advice Barnet can put you in touch with trained advocates from Advocacy in Barnet

Barnet Mencap can help you to make complaints and follow them through, and support you in speaking up for yourself and attend meetings with you.

Annual Complaints Reports

We publish our annual complaints reports on our Open Data portal.

Concerns about abuse or ill-treatment

If you are suffering abuse or you are concerned about a vulnerable adult at risk or suffering abuse don't keep it to yourself:

  • call Social Care Direct on 020 8359 5000
  • if the person is in immediate danger or needs medical treatment please contact the police or an ambulance on 999
  • for more information and advice on abuse visit our Keeping Adults Safe pages

Watchdog organisations

Healthwatch Barnet is part of the nationwide Healthwatch England network.

It helps residents get the best out of their local health and social care services.

They listen to your views and liaise with health and council services to make sure your views are heard and acted on. 

It also provides information and signposting about local health and social care services.

Whether you have had a good or bad experience of social care services, you can share your views with the Care Quality Commission.

They are responsible for inspecting services and publishing the results to help people to make decisions about their care.