For some carers, having others to talk to and share experiences with can benefit their health and wellbeing. It can also provide the opportunity to develop ways of dealing with situations, or just be an opportunity to talk about how they are feeling.
There are a variety of drop-in sessions and support groups available.
Dementia cafés provide an informal and understanding environment for people living with dementia and their carers. They offer a variety of musical, arts and crafts and exercise activities. They also provide an opportunity to get information and advice.
Drop by for any of these sessions:
- Mill Hill
- Where: Eversfield Centre, Eversfield Gardens, Mill Hill, NW7 2AE
- When: Last Friday of every month 10.30-12.30
- High Barnet
- Where: Open Door, Christ Church Vicarage, St. Albans Road, Barnet, EN5 4LA
- When: Fourth Tuesday of every month, 2–4pm
- Friern Barnet:
- Where: St John's Parish Centre, Friern Barnet Road, London, N11 3EQ
- When: Second Tuesday of every month, 2–4pm
- New Barnet
- Where: Friends Meeting House, 55 Leicester Road, Barnet, EN5 5EL
- When: Third Monday of the month, 2–4pm
Saracens Dementia Club
Each session aims to provide the person with dementia and their carer with information, gentle exercise and fun activities in a social atmosphere.
Drop by the Finchley Memorial Hospital every Wednesday between 2.00pm-4.00pm
Further information is available on the Saracens dementia website.
Former carers support
Support group aimed at supporting carers who are no longer caring. The group is available to former carers and regular meetings are held through the Barnet Carers Centre.
Contact Barnet Carers Centre for more information.
These sessions are for carers with high level needs. Each session is one-to-one and held over a 12-week period. Pre-booking is required and there may be a waiting list to access the sessions.
There is a voluntary contribution of £12 per session.
Contact Barnet Carers Centre for more information:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 020 8343 9698
Each locality across the Jami service offers support, information and advice according to carer needs.
- one-to-one support
- carer support group during the day or evening
- information and guidance.
Contact Jami for more information:
- Phone: 020 8458 2223
Royal Free neurological rehabilitation centre (NRC)
Based at Edgware Community Hospital, the Royal Free NRC provides support for those who are caring for people with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
Contact Royal Free NRC:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 07540 926501