Home care and re-ablement


Arranging for home care

You may want to look online for home care in and around Barnet or use My Care My Home to find the nearest care service to you.

We recommend you check the Care Quality Commission as they monitor, inspect and rate the standard of home care providers. 

You should always check this information before choosing to purchase care from any agency.

Employing someone yourself

Some people prefer to employ their own carer or personal assistant. This has the advantage that you will always have the same carer.  

As an employer you have important legal responsibilities. The GOV.UK website has information on employment topics such as:

  • employment terms and conditions
  • national minimum wage
  • paid holiday
  • tax
  • sick pay and maternity pay

Further advice to getting a personal assistant

Support from the council

If you think you need home care, and want the council to help provide it, then have a conversation with us about how we may be able to support you. Please contact Social Care Direct by email or phone 020 8359 5000 for an assessment of your needs.

If this assessment shows that you qualify for support from us, we will work with you to plan for what is best for you.