Claiming benefits

Age UK Barnet logo

Age UK benefits calculator

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Find out what you could be owed - quickly and easily.

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Council Tax and Housing Benefits
  • Council Tax and Housing reduction
  • Council Tax exemption
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Winter fuel allowance
  • Carers' parking permit

Attendance Allowance

If you're over 65 years old and need supervision or help with personal care because of an illness or disability, then you may be entitled to claim Attendance Allowance.

You can get Attendance Allowance if:

  • you live alone
  • if no one is giving you help
  • or even if you would not accept any help

The amount you get depends on how much your disability affects you.

For more information or to make a claim contact the Attendance Allowance Helpline:

Carer’s Allowance

If you're over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone who is getting Attendance Allowance or either the middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, then you may be eligible to claim Carer's Allowance.

You do not have to be related to, or live with the person that you care for.

You can ask for a claim for Carer's Allowance by:

Council and Housing Benefits

More information can be found on our Benefits web pages.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) provides financial help to people who are unable to work because of illness or disability. ESA also offers personalised help so that you can work if you are able to.

It gives you access to:

  • a specially trained personal adviser
  • a wide range of  services including employment
  • training and condition management support to help you manage and cope with your illness or disability at work

A medical assessment

You will get a medical assessment called the Work Capability Assessment. This assesses what you can do, rather than what you cannot, and identifies the health-related support you might need. The amount you receive depends on your circumstances. It also depends on how much your disability impacts your ability to do any work.

You can make an Employment and Support Allowance claim online, by telephone or text phone:

  • tel: 0800 055 6688
  • text phone: 0800 023 4888­­

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) replaces the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64.

If you need help with personal care or need help getting around because of a long-term physical or mental disability, or both, then you may be able to claim. You can get Personal Independence Payment whether you work or not.

You could receive between £21.80 to £82.30 per week to help with the extra costs caused by your condition. How much you get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

You’ll need to have an assessment

This is to work out the level of help you get. Your award will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

You can make a PIP claim online or contact the Disability Benefits Helpline (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm):

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948

  • tel: 0345 605 6055
  • text phone: 0345 604 5312

If you were born after 8 April 1948

  • Tel: 0345 712 3456
  • Textphone: 0345 722 4433

Pension Credit

If you are over the age of 65 you may be able to claim for Pension Credit.

Find out if you’re eligible with the Pension Credit Calculator.

You’ll need details of:

  • earnings, benefits and pensions
  • savings and investments

You’ll need the same details for your partner if you have one.

Working Tax Credit

Some low-paid and disabled workers may be able to claim tax credits. If you are aged 16 or over and work more than 16 hours per week you may qualify.

Working Tax Credit is based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. It does not matter if you are employed or self-employed, but unpaid work does not count as work when claiming tax credits.

For more information or to make a claim contact the tax credit helpline:

  • tel: 0345 300 3900
  • text phone: 0345 300 3909

Make a claim for Working Tax Credit online

Winter Fuel Payment annual one-off payment

You are entitled to Winter Fuel Payment if you're aged 60 or over. This is an annual one-off payment towards the cost of your heating bills. You may receive up to £300 depending on your age.

You should receive this payment automatically without making a claim if you are getting a state retirement pension or other Social Security benefit.

For more information call the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline:

  • tel: 0845 915 1515
  • text phone: 0845 601 5613

Note that calls to a 0845 number are made up of two parts: an access charge and a service charge. The service charge to an 0845 number is an additional cost of up to 7p per minute.

Carers' parking permit

You can give this parking permit for your visitors to use, if you need essential home visits by a doctor, district nurse, similar healthcare professional or a voluntary carer,

If you must be a Barnet resident living in a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ),  

Apply for a carers' parking permit.