If you are a person who is Deaf or who has hearing loss or Tinnitus, you can get support from the JDA's Hearing Connect department,
- Technology and information centre
- Hearing aid maintenance service
- Impartial information on NHS and private sector audiology
- Current affairs discussion group
- Book club
- Learn to lip read
- Living with Tinnitus
- On-site training and support for people who are housebound or living in residential care
Communication support for council services
1. BSL interpreters
The council works with DA Languages to support deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing people in Barnet to have access to social care services.
If requested your social worker will arrange a:
- BSL interpreter
- Sign Supported English (SEE) interpreter
- Manual interpreter for Deafblind people
- Speech to text reporter (palantypist).
This service is free.
Communication support for emergency services
If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired people you can send an SMS message to 999 to call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.
You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergencySMS service.
How to use emergencySMS
Apps that assist with hearing impairment
What does it do?
This app displays subtitles to each of your phone calls automatically. (Available on Google Play only)
This app enables video-based calls, created for the deaf and hard of hearing community.
This app allows users to search and compare thousands of words and phrases in BSL. (Available on Apple Store only)