Your conversation, your life

Ways to help yourself

There are lots of great support you can independently access in your community. Please visit our community support 'stay connected and well' section. 

Assessment explained

An assessment of your needs is a discussion with you. You can tell us about your care and support needs.

If you are a carer, you can discuss how your caring role is affecting you. 

We will look at how we can maximise your independence and wellbeing and support you to achieve the outcomes you want. 

To find out what social care support is available and right for you, please contact Social Care Direct. 

We can have a conversation with you about your day-to-day life, to work out what you need. This may mean that we carry out an assessment of your needs with you. 

Our strengths-based approach

We will take a strengths based approach to how we work with you.  This means we will work with you to think about:

  • the goals you want to achieve
  • recognise your own strengths
  • your links to the community, family and friends around you
  • encourage you to make your own decision and informed choices

Qualifying for support 

All councils in England use the same national level of care and support needs to work out if you qualify for support from us.

These guidelines are set nationally by the government and are known as 'eligibility criteria'.

To get help and support from us, you must be an adult and meet the following 3 conditions:

  1. your needs arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness
  2. as a result of your needs you are unable to achieve two or more of the specified outcomes in the policy; and
  3. as a consequence there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing.

Take a look at our Assessment Eligibility Policy (PDF) on how we make an assessment. 

Short term (re-ablement) or long term support

If you qualify for support from us, we may initially talk to you about some short-term support (re-ablement) to help you with regaining your independence.

If you still need further support we may plan for long-term support with you.

You may be given a Personal Budget to help meet your support needs. 

The amount of money you receive will vary from person to person. This is because the amount is based on your personal circumstances and social care needs.

You will also be given information and advice to help you select the right long-term support for you or may be offered services from other organisations both voluntary and private organisation.

Extra help and advocacy

In some circumstances, we may also need to assess your ability to make certain decisions for yourself (your mental capacity). This is so that we can make sure that you are able to consent to the support we are offering, or that you understand the risks if you refuse any support.

You can ask an advocate or representative to help you. Citizen Advice Barnet can provide this support.

If you find it easier to talk to us in another language, you can ask us to bring an interpreter when we see you. Please let us know if you would like us to provide information in your preferred format, for example large print or Braille.