Barnet Resident Support Fund
About the fund
The Barnet Resident Support Fund (BRSF) is financial support for Barnet residents who are struggling to afford household essentials such as paying for food, energy bills and other living costs.
Who can apply?
To apply for the BRSF you must meet the relevant criteria for where you live, your financial situation and your age.
You can apply if you are:
- aged 16 or older
- a Barnet resident living in the area for at least 6 weeks
- moving into Barnet from an institution such as a hospital, care home, prison or fleeing violence domestic or international and have a local connection to the area
To apply you must also be receiving a qualifying benefit such as:
- Universal Credit
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Income Support Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit
- recently come off a qualifying benefit because you've started work and are waiting to be paid
To apply you must not be:
- under immigration control and restricted from applying for public funds
- receiving a previous payment from a basic living needs award within the last 6 months, furnishings award within the last 12 months, electrical or gas goods award within the last 36 months
- able to apply for a budgeting loan from the Department for Works and Pensions
What the fund covers
The BRSF covers furnishings, electrical and gas items and basic living needs such as:
- utilities including gas and electricity
- essential household items
- essential clothing and footwear
- emergency transport costs
- beds, bedding and mattresses
- washing machine
- cooking and heating equipment
What the fund won't cover
The BRSF can't be used to pay for:
- an item covered by insurance
- satellite dish cost or repair
- TV or TV licence
- recreational equipment
- motor vehicle expenses
- non-essential domestic furniture or appliance
How to apply
To apply for the BRSF you will need to:
- submit an online form on the Grant Approval website
- upload with your online form evidence that proves your identity and shows details of your living expenses
Prepare for your application
Before you start your application gather all your evidence and check you have everything you need.
If you have missing information or you don't give us your details, this will delay your application being processed or you not receiving a BRSF payment.
You must provide a copy of your:
- passport, driving licence or other forms of identity
- banks statements or other evidence of savings dated within the last 3 months
- proof of residence such as a utility bill, Council Tax bill, tenancy agreement or similar
- receipts, invoice, bill or other evidence of expenditure within the last 3 months
- support worker contact details, doctors letter or other written testimonial from support agencies
Support completing your application
If you would like to talk to someone about the BRSF or help with the online application, contact us on 020 8359 4242 or email: email@example.com
What happens next
How long will it take to process your application
We aim to process your application as soon as possible.
It may take longer to process your application if we need to contact you for more information.
Please make sure you submit everything you've been asked for.
How we'll contact you if we need more information
You will be sent an email.
How the BRSF will be paid
Depending on the reason for your application, and the items you are applying for you will receive one or more of the following:
- Cash via PayPoint
- Argos e-voucher
- White goods, delivered and installed
- Payment directly to your bank account (or 3rd party bank account where appropriate)
We understand that rises in cost of living is affecting everyone differently, if you are experiencing financial difficulties there is a range of support available to you, to learn more check our Cost of Living information