Barnet Community Innovation Fund
Main fund programme is now closed
The Community Innovation Fund (CIF) supports community initiatives.
A grant fund of £320,000 was available this autumn for local projects.
The Community Innovation Fund Programme is now closed for applications.
The application closing date was Monday 1 November 2021 at 5 pm.
Small fund programme now available
You can apply for small projects up to £2,000 on an ongoing basis.
Please email Marta.Montague@barnet.gov.uk if you have any further questions.
All projects must:
- be based in Barnet
- take place between January 2022 and February 2023
- start within 2 months of receiving the grant
- run for 6 to 12 months
There is an ongoing level of small grant (up tp £2000) funding available to organisations.
We encourage applications that focus on communities with poorer health outcomes.
The fund is available for charities with projects that support 1 of our funding priorities:
Mental health and wellbeing support, focusing on pandemic-related crisis support.
Projects that promote equality, diversity and inclusion, especially related to health.
Sustainable green spaces for healthy leisure projects.
Projects supporting families, children and young people, promoting family health.
Costs that aren’t covered by the fund:
- ongoing financial support once the project has ended
- payments for the project or purchases that have already happened
- profit making or fundraising activities
Projects that aren’t covered by the fund:
- project activities the council are responsible for
- projects put forward by a public sector body for example, a school or a GP surgery
- projects promoting political or faith activities
Who can apply
To apply for the Community Innovation Fund you must be a:
- registered charity
- charitable incorporated organisation (CIO)
- community interest company limited by guarantee
- company limited by guarantee
- constituted community group
- constituted but unincorporated club or association
- community benefit society
- social enterprise
Previous applicants can re-apply but resubmitted projects that have been turned down before, are unlikely to be funded.
Individuals and businesses aren’t allowed to apply.
How to apply
The form will take up to 60 minutes to complete and you can save your work and return to the application later.
Gathering information to support your application
You will need:
- contact details of 2 key people for example, a trustee, director or member of your management team
- organisation registration number
- annual operating budget or turnover figure
- organisation governing document (constitution, company articles of association for Community Interest Groups or Social Enterprises)
- safeguarding policy or statement if you are working directly with vulnerable service users
Check our privacy notice before you apply.
How your application is assessed
Projects are assessed against funding priorities, expected outcomes and evidence of:
- value for money
- projects designed for local need and users
- projects that don’t overlap with existing or planned public sector provision
- services can be tailored to resident’s needs
- providing insight into resident’s needs
- involving beneficiaries in the design and running of services
- being inclusive and diverse
- meeting the needs of our most vulnerable residents
All decisions on grants are final.
After submitting your application
What we expect from your organisation if you receive funding
You’ll need to monitor your project and submit reports.
Reports will be required at the end of the project and in some cases, halfway through your project.
This is agreed by the Grant Panel Committee.
How payments will be made
All grants are paid to the organisation’s bank account via Bankers Automated Clearing Scheme (BACS).
Help with your application
Barnet Together can help you with your grant application form.
For help with:
- Adult and green spaces application forms, email Ellen@inclusionbarnet.org.uk
- Children and young people application forms, email email@example.com
- General CIF enquires, email Marta Montague at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Innovation Fund Guidelines Autumn 2021 (ODT 132KB)
- Community Innovation Fund presentation overview and application top tips (PDF 754 KB)
- Barnet Community Innovation Fund Application Form (ODT 30.1KB). This will help you prepare your answers before starting the online form