Register a stillbirth
When to register a stillbirth
A stillbirth should be registered at a register office within 42 days.
Where to register a stillbirth
It is best to register a stillbirth at the register office in the borough where the baby was delivered. To register the stillbirth in Barnet call the Register Office on 020 8359 6400, the team will be able to guide you.
Who can register the stillbirth
Either the mother or father can register the stillbirth.
The details of both parents can be included on the stillbirth certificate if they do one of the following:
- sign the birth register together
- one parent completes a statutory declaration of parentage form and the other takes the signed form to register the birth
- one parent goes to register the birth with a document from the court (for example, a court order) giving the father parental responsibility
If neither of the parents can register a still birth:
- someone who was present at the stillbirth
- someone who is responsible for the stillborn child
- the occupier of the hospital or house where the stillbirth took place
- the person who found the stillborn child, if the date and place of the stillbirth are unknown
For full details of who can register a still birth, including what to do if neither parent can attend, please read the GOV.UK guide to registering a stillbirth or contact the register office.
Barnet Register office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone: 020 8359 6400
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.