Register a death
COVID-19 impact on this service
You should register a death within 5 days from when the person has died and it should be with the register office in the area where they died.
To register a death complete the following steps:
1. Organise for the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD) to be sent to us by email to email@example.com from the doctor who has completed the certificate.
We can only accept scans from Hospitals, Doctor's Surgeries and Doctors using their secure email addresses.
2. Call us on 020 8359 6400, option 1. Our Contact Centre will arrange for one of our Registrars to call you back and complete the registration.
Following the registration, we will be emailing you a copy of the Certificate for Burial or Cremation 'Green', which will enable you to go ahead with the funeral.
3. Once the registration has taken place, please order certificates with us online.
Out of hours for same day burials and cremations
A registrar will be available Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 11am for same day burials and cremations only. Please call 020 8359 2000
Registering a death during the bank holiday
On bank holidays, a registrar is on call from 9am to 11am for same day burials and cremations.
Please call 020 8359 2000 between 9am and 11am.
Who can register the death
You can register the death if you’re:
- a relative
- someone present at the death
- an administrator from the hospital
- the person making arrangements with the funeral directors
- the executor of a will is not automatically entitled to register a death unless they are also arranging the funeral.
If English is not your first language and you would like someone to help you with the registration, you can ask a relative or friend to accompany you to the register office.
Documents you need to register a death
To register a death, you need the medical 'cause of death' certificate from the doctor who last treated the person who died. If the death is passed to the coroner, the cause of death document will be sent direct to the register office. Please contact us before attending your appointment to make sure we have the documentation.
You’ll need to tell us at the register office:
- the person’s full name at the time of death
- any names previously used, example: maiden name
- the person’s date and place of birth
- their last address
- their occupation
- the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
When you register a death we will give you a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (the green form) and you will be able to buy death certificates.
Call to book a death registration appointment 020 8359 6400
Barnet Register Office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone: 020 8359 6400
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm