You should register a death within 5 days from when the person has died and it should be with the register office in the area where they died.
To register a death in Barnet you must book an appointment with Barnet Register Office
If you can't do this, you can register the death at your nearest office. This is called a death declaration.
The documents will be sent to the office in the area where the person died before they are sent to you.
Registering a death during the bank holiday
On bank holidays, a registrar is on call from 9am to 10am for same day burials and cremations.
Please call 020 8359 2000 between 9am and 10am.
Who can register the death
You can register the death if you’re:
- a relative
- someone present at the death
- an administrator from the hospital
- the person making arrangements with the funeral directors
- the executor of a will is not automatically entitled to register a death unless they are also arranging the funeral.
If English is not your first language and you would like someone to help you with the registration, you can ask a relative or friend to accompany you to the register office.
Documents you need to register a death
To register a death, you need the medical 'cause of death' certificate from the doctor who last treated the person who died. If the death is passed to the coroner, the cause of death document will be sent direct to the register office. Please contact us before attending your appointment to make sure we have the documentation.
You’ll need to tell us at the register office:
- the person’s full name at the time of death
- any names previously used, example: maiden name
- the person’s date and place of birth
- their last address
- their occupation
- the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
When you register a death we will give you a Certificate for Burial or Cremation (the green form) and you will be able to buy death certificates.
Barnet Register Office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone: 020 8359 6400
Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm