Give notice of a marriage or civil partnership

A notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement you must sign. It gives details of your name, age, address, occupation, nationality and where you will get married.

For all marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at the register office. This could be extended to 70 days if you are subject to a Home Office Referral. 

You can only give notice if you have lived in the area for at least the past 8 days.

Once you have given us notice, you must get married or register your civil partnership within one year.

Where to give notice

  • If you are both British or EEA nationals you must give notice at Register Office in the area where you live.
  • If you live in Barnet you need to give notice at Barnet Register Office in Hendon Town Hall
  • If one or both of you are a foreign national your notice can be given at any designated register office (Barnet is a designated register office)

Where your notice will be displayed

Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.

There are different rules for:

Skip to:

Rate this page?