A notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement you must sign. It gives details of your name, age, address, occupation, nationality and where you will get married.
For all marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at the register office. This could be extended to 70 days if you are subject to a Home Office Referral.
You can only give notice if you have lived in the area for at least the past 8 days.
Once you have given us notice, you must get married or register your civil partnership within one year.
Where to give notice
- If you are both British or EEA nationals you must give notice at Register Office in the area where you live.
- If you live in Barnet you need to give notice at Barnet Register Office in Hendon Town Hall
- If one or both of you are a foreign national your notice can be given at any designated register office (Barnet is a designated register office)
Where your notice will be displayed
Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.
There are different rules for:
Notice of marriage or civil partnership appointment
Appointments can only be booked directly by one of the partners getting married or in the civil partnership.
To book an appointment:
- please call us on 020 8359 6400
- select option 3 for marriages and civil partnerships
- and select option 2 for notice appointments
- £35 each for British and EU nationals
- £47 each for non EU nationals
You can only get a refund for an appointment if cancelled 7 days before the notice appointment.
Documents to take to the register office
You’ll need to take proof of your name, age and nationality.
For example your:
- valid passport
- birth certificate (UK Only)
- national identity card from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- biometric residence card or permit
- travel document
The registrar also needs proof of your address, for example a:
- valid full UK driving licence
- gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
- bank or building society statement from the last month
- council tax bill from the last 12 months
- letter from your landlord confirming you live there and including your landlord’s name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days
If you have been married or in a civil partnership previously, in this country or any other country:
- Original Decree Absolute (UK) or final divorce document, with a third-party translation if not in English
- An original death certificate of former spouse or civil partner, with a third-party translation if not in English
Foreign divorces are subject to a clearance fee of £75 if sent to the General Register Office and £50 if the Register Office have the authority to clear it.
Ceremony in a different borough from where you’ve given notice
We will send electronically marriage and civil partnership notices given in Barnet to the Register Office in the borough where your ceremony is taking place.
Barnet Register Office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone: 020 8359 6400
Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm