What is a notice of marriage or civil partnership
A notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement you must sign. It gives details of your name, age, address, occupation, nationality and where you will get married.
For all marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at the register office. This could be extended to 70 days if you are subject to a Home Office Referral.
You can only give notice if you have lived in the area for at least the past 8 days.
Once you have given us notice, you must get married or register your civil partnership within one year.
Where to give notice
- if you are both British or EEA nationals you must give notice at Register Office in the area where you live
- if you live in Barnet you need to give notice at Barnet Register Office in Hendon Town Hall
- if one or both of you are a foreign national your notice can be given at any designated register office (Barnet is a designated register office).
Where your notice will be displayed
Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.
There are different rules for:
- £35 each for British and EU nationals
- £47 each for non EU nationals.
You can only get a refund for an appointment if cancelled 7 days before the notice appointment.
Book a notice appointment
Appointments can only be booked directly by one of the partners getting married or in the civil partnership.
In line with government guidance, face coverings should be worn if you are attending an appointment or ceremony at Hendon Town Hall.
If you or anyone from your household have any symptoms of COVID-19, have tested positive or are quarantining, please do not attend an appointment at Hendon Town Hall.
Online booking and payment
Phone booking and payment
To book an appointment:
- please call us on 020 8359 6400
- select option 3 for marriages and civil partnerships
- select option 2 for notice appointments
Documents to take to your appointment
You’ll need to take proof of your name, age and nationality.
For example your:
- valid passport
- full British birth certificate with photo ID (If you were born in the UK before 1st January 1983)
- full British birth certificate with evidence that either of your parents were British or settled in the UK at the time of your birth e.g. their full British birth certificate, valid British passport from the time of your birth or their naturalisation certificate (If you were born in the UK AFTER 1st January 1983)
- national identity card from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- biometric residence card or permit
- travel document.
The registrar also needs proof of your address, for example a:
- valid full UK driving licence
- gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
- bank or building society statement from the last month
- council tax bill from the last 12 months
- letter from your landlord confirming you live there and including your landlord’s name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days.
If you have been married or in a civil partnership previously, in this country or any other country:
- original decree absolute (UK) or final divorce document, with a third-party translation if not in English
- an original death certificate of former spouse or civil partner, with a third-party translation if not in English.
Foreign divorces are subject to a clearance fee of £75 if sent to the General Register Office and £50 if the Register Office have the authority to clear it.
Cancelling or rescheduling your appointment due to COVID-19
The Coronavirus pandemic has not ended, the virus is still present in the population.
It may be necessary to cancel and/or reschedule appointments at short notice due to changes in government restrictions, local lockdowns or the need for our staff to self-isolate.
By booking during the pandemic, you agree that you understand and accept the risk of late notice cancellations and/or rescheduling. We aim to give customers as much notice as possible.
If you have an appointment for a notice of marriage or civil partnership, you will have the option of being contacted to reschedule or receive a full refund.
We will contact any affected customers as soon as possible if there are any changes to service provision.
Giving notice in a different borough to your ceremony
We will electronically send marriage and civil partnership notices given in Barnet to the Register Office in the borough where your ceremony is taking place.
Barnet Register Office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone 020 8359 6400
Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm