Business rates: change of circumstances

You must tell us (Barnet Council) about any changes to your or business circumstances, it may affect amount of business rates you will have to pay.

Let us know about changes if you:

  • move address
  • believe that you are entitled to an allowance (discount, exemption or relief)
  • believe that you are no longer entitled to an allowance
  • the Valuation Officer changes the rateable value of your property
  • your property changes from empty to occupied (or vice versa)

If necessary, we will re-calculate our charges and send you your new bill.


If your change of circumstance means you’ve overpaid us.  We'll send you a credit bill and refund request form.

Moving in or moving out

Please complete the moving in and moving out form to tell us of any changes in your liability and send the form to the Business Rates department.

Contact Business Rates

Opening times:

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5:15pm
Friday: 9am to 5pm

Tel: 020 8359 2735


Write to us at:

Barnet Council
Business Rates
PO Box 236