Choosing childcare and early education can be a big step for the whole family. As well as making sure that the type of childcare you choose is the one that best meets you and your child's needs, you also want to know that your child will be safe, secure, well looked after and happy.
When choosing childcare:
- Visit a selection of childcare providers to give you an idea of what will suit you and your child
- Take your child with you to see how they would fit in
- Ask to see an Ofsted registration certificate and a recent inspection report
Points to think about during your visit:
- are the children settled, safe and happy?
- do children play and talk together?
- are staff listening to children and answering them carefully?
- are the staff friendly and enjoying their work?
- are the staff joining in with what the children are doing?
- are there lots of fun activities planned to help children learn and play?
- are the premises clean, well-kept and safe for children with a fun outside play area (or will children go to parks and other places regularly)?
- do parents have plenty of chances to say what they want for their children?
You will also need to consider how well the setting accommodates your child's needs.