Barnet's local outbreak control plan outlines 7 steps to prevent, control and manage COVID-19 incidents and outbreaks. It describes our co-ordinated local response and it has been developed with a wide range of stakeholders and overseen by Barnet Health Protection Board.
Daily updates on Barnet COVID-19 cases are published nationally and can be accessed here.
A more detailed COVID-19 weekly report for Barnet is published by 5pm every Tuesday. It covers a 7-day period up to the previous Saturday, as full and validated reporting is delayed by 2 to 3 days. It can be viewed here:
The aim of this plan
- build on existing plans to prevent and manage outbreaks in specific settings
- ensure the challenges of COVID-19 are understood
- consider the impact on local communities
- ensure the wider system works together to contain the spread of infection locally.
This plan will be regularly updated, as further evidence emerges.
It has been signed off by the Health Protection Board, Borough Resilience Forum, Chief Executive, Director of Public Health and Public Health England (PHE) Health Protection Team representative. It was first published on Tuesday 30 June 2020.
Supporting documents within the plan
These documents relate to the slides in the outbreak plan which provides further context.
Microsoft word versions of these documents and the plan are available on request, email email@example.com
If you adapt or use any of the below information or resources for your own purposes, we ask that you acknowledge Barnet Council.
1. Guiding principles for effective management of COVID-19 at a local level
Outlines the principles for the design of COVID-19 Local Outbreak Plans led by the Director of Public Health at Upper Tier Local Authority level, working with all key professions and sectors, with outline responsibilities for each defined. This document relates to slide 3 of the plan: Guiding principles.
2. Joint Agreement for supporting the management of COVID-19 outbreaks
This Joint Agreement between the PHE London Coronavirus Response Centre and London Local Authorities for supporting the management of COVID-19 outbreaks and complex settings document relates to slide 7 of the plan: Roles and responsibilities in London.
3. Terms of reference
Health Protection Board Terms of Reference
One of the recommendations from the national outbreak control management plan was to set up local COVID-19 Health Protection Board to oversee the development of and provide assurance that there are safe, effective and well-tested Local Outbreak Plans in place to protect the health of local population during COVID-19 pandemic. This document relates to slide 8 of the plan: Local Governance.
Barnet Resilience Forum Terms of Reference
The general terms of reference of the Barnet Resilience Forum (BRF) in relation to ordinary business and the role of the Influenza Pandemic Committee, which includes the BRF, in the pandemic response plan. This document relates to slide 8 of the plan: Local Governance.
4. How to prevent and manage outbreaks in various settings
In order to capture some good work at local borough level and across London, Barnet Council, on behalf of London Best Practice Group network, has rapidly developed these action cards, based on extensive engagement with local providers, voluntary and community sector, various London’s professional networks and review of national and international guidelines, including Public Health England.
The main aim is to provide a range of short and clear tools such as checklists, action cards and hints and tips and brief best practice review aimed at:
- prevention of COVID-19 infection and spread
- management of incidents and outbreaks in specific settings
- wider wrap-around support.
These documents relate to slide 12 of the plan: Prevent and manage outbreaks in various settings.
School and early years
- Care homes action card (PDF, 2.4MB)
- Day centres action card (PDF,1.2MB)
- Supported living action card (PDF, 2.4MB)
- NCL Infection Prevention & Control (IPC) support guidance (PDF, 574KB)
- Workplaces action card (PDF, 620KB)
- Example of Corporate Risk Assessment Guidance - COVID-19 Secure (PDF, 688KB)
- COVID-19 staff risk assessment form (PDF, 1.2MB)
These documents relate to slide 13 of the plan: Prevent and manage outbreaks in various settings.
Places of worship
- Places of worship outbreak action card (PDF, 418KB)
- Places of worship outbreak management action card for public health(PDF, 568KB)
- Places of worship engagement action card (PDF, 459KB)
Indoor leisure settings
Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
- Houses in multiple occupation action card (PDF, 585KB)
- Information for people living in shared accommodation leaflet (PDF, 0.9MB)
5. Supporting vulnerable people
To support groups at high-risk from COVID-19, Barnet has developed action cards which aim to address the specific needs of these groups. These will be used in conjunction with the setting specific action cards above.
These documents relate to slide 18 of the plan: Support vulnerable people: Impact on vulnerable groups.
- supporting Day Centres for homeless people guidance (PDF, 57KB)
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) groups action card (PDF, 570KB)
- supported living for people with mental illness or learning disability action card (PDF, 480KB)
- supporting people with learning disabilities and dementia to self isolate (PDF, 481KB)
- supporting unpaid carers - same household action card (PDF, 1MB)
- supporting unpaid carers - different household action card (PDF,1.1MB)
- impact checklist for general vulnerable groups (PDF, 598KB)
6. Methods for testing
The primary method for testing individual cases remains the national testing portal.
More detailed process maps for Mobile Testing Units (MTUs) and Key Workers are below. These documents relate to slide 20: Methods of Testing and slide 21 of the plan: Additional Testing Capacity.
7. Local data reporting
Our current Barnet reporting process map and an example of our weekly COVID-19 report. These documents relate to slide 23 of the plan: Local data reporting.
8. GDPR and data security
Local data sharing agreements are being developed. This document relates to slide 26 of the plan: GDPR and Data Security.
9. Communications and Engagement
The overall aim of the communications strategy is get people to have a test if they have symptoms, comply with self-isolation if required, and help prevent widespread local outbreaks.
More specifically we’ll aim to achieve this by:
- raising awareness of the NHS Test and Trace service and increasing levels of testing across Barnet
- building trust, confidence and engagement with NHS Test and Trace across all our communities
- providing a rapid response in the event of local outbreaks, ensuring key stakeholders have a clear understanding of the Local Outbreak Plans.
This document relates to slide 30 of the plan: Communications and Engagement.
10. COVID-19 Health Protection Board Incident Management Team (IMT) meeting
This document relates to slide 36 of the plan: Appendix II