Council Tax refunds
On Saturday 25 September from 8am to 1pm, access to Council Tax services online may be limited. This is due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Who can apply for a Council Tax refund
You can apply for a Council Tax refund if your Council Tax account is in credit.
You may have received a letter from us or seen a banner on your My Account dashboard.
Your Council Tax account might be in credit when:
- the account has been closed before an instalment is taken out
- we’ve received too much money or forgotten to cancel a payment
- you’ve been awarded Council Tax Support or a discount, disregard or an exemption
- your property band has been reduced
How to apply for a refund
You can request a refund using our online form. First you need to:
- set up a My Account
- add the Council Tax and Housing Benefit Service
- if you can get a refund, a banner with a link to the online refund form will appear
What we need from you
If more than 1 person is liable for the Council Tax account
We will need:
- letters stating that the refund can be issued to you from each liable person
- proof of payments you have made covering the full amount of credit
For example, if the credit is for £400, the person requesting the refund will need to prove they paid £400
If the person liable for the Council Tax account is receiving Council Tax Support
We need the Benefits team to confirm that the Council Tax Support is correct before you can get a refund.
This may take longer to refund than the usual 10 working days.
If the person liable for the Council Tax account has died
A refund will only be issued if the person who has died has a Council Tax account in credit.
The executor requesting the refund will need to provide evidence that:
- probate has been granted
- the Council Tax account is closed
How your money is refunded
We will refund your money directly into your bank account.
Make sure you have your bank details when completing the refund form.
We aim to refund your money within 10 working days from the date you apply.