There is no legislation against domestic bonfires. However we may investigate complaints of nuisance arising from the smoke emanating from a fire.

If you believe you are being unreasonably disturbed by the smoke from a fire, contact us so that an officer may visit you at your property.

The officer will assess the nuisance you are experiencing and then they will advise you of any action to be taken regarding the persons responsible for the bonfire.

To report a nuisance arising from a bonfire, contact the Environmental Health Service on telephone 020 8359 7995 or email Include your address and telephone number as well as details of the premises where the bonfire is located.

If you plan to have a bonfire

Your first consideration should be towards your neighbours and the effect the smoke may have upon them.

We don't encourage bonfires because Barnet is one of the most populated London Borough and it's unlikely you will be able to have a domestic bonfire without disturbing a neighbour.

We suggest you consider composting garden waste, using the garden waste wheelie bin, or taking waste materials to Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre, Summers Lane, North Finchley N12 0RF.

Rate this page?