Drug and alcohol misuse

If you, a friend or family member are having problems with alcohol or drugs you can talk to someone at Barnet’s adult or young people's substance misuse services.

Barnet residents can access a full range of services, from advice through to structured treatment programmes and residential treatment if necessary. Support is also available for young people and adults, along with their families and carers.

For further information about services available in Barnet, please see below.

Change Grow Live Barnet

Change Grow Live Barnet is the local service for adults and young people who are experiencing issues with drugs or alcohol. 

The service is free and open to all Barnet residents as well as their families and carers. Any professional, such as a housing support worker, social worker or a nurse, can make a referral or you can get in touch yourself. The best way to make a referral is to use Change Grow Live's online referral form or you can call Change Grow Live Barnet on 0300 303 2866 to complete the form over the phone.

You can visit the service in person at:

Ground Floor

Dennis Scott Unit

Edgware Community Hospital

Burnt Oak Broadway 



For general enquiries, email:

Please be advised that this email address should not be used to send confidential information. Should any confidential information need to be sent, please use the secure email:

You will be able to talk to one of the duty team practitioners who will help you decide which service best meets your needs. The team will then work with you to create a care plan, which will be reviewed regularly.

The services will offer amongst other things:

  • Harm reduction advice
  • Access to substitute medication
  • Referrals to residential and community detoxes and residential rehab
  • Counselling
  • Group work
  • Employment, Education and Training support
  • A range of health and wellbeing services including support to stop smoking, blood borne virus assessment/vaccination/treatment, health checks
  • Support for friends, families and carers
  • Education and information for professionals including GP’s and other health professionals
  • Support and in-reach for schools
  • Outreach and community engagement
  • Dual diagnosis support via co-location with community mental health teams
  • Support for parents who use drugs or alcohol, including co-location with children’s centers and family services

Get advice on your alcohol intake with Drinkcoach Barnet

If you would like information and advice about your alcohol intake, why not take the free online alcohol test at Drinkcoach. Provide details of your alcohol intake, and receive advice about your drinking.

You can also speak with an experienced alcohol specialist via Skype online coaching sessions, a convenient and confidential way to discuss your drinking and receive expert guidance. Bookings can be made at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. No waiting lists, no travel time, with sessions happening in a place that suits you.

Alternatively, you can contact your GP practice for further support.

Further information and support

Better Health - Drink Free Days App

The NHS Better Health website has lots of free tools and support to improve your health. Their Drink Free Days app can help you track your alcohol intake on the days you drink and the days you don’t.


For facts, advice and tools for tracking your alcohol intake visit the Drinkaware website.


Adfam works to improve the lives of families affected by drug and alcohol use.


Find out everything you need to know about drugs, their effects and the law. Talk to Frank for facts, support and advice on drugs and alcohol.

NHS Live well

NHS Live Well has information on the effects of drugs.


For assistance with health and wellbeing including finding GP services, you can visit the NHS website