Being fit and active doesn’t have to be costly. There are many things you can do that don’t cost a penny.
- Being active is easy, fun and social
- Building activity into your day keeps your heart healthy, reduces your risk of serious illness and strengthens muscles and bones.
- It can also be a great way of reducing your stress levels and lifting your mood if you’re feeling down.
Ways of getting more active
- active travel - walking and cycling at least some of the way to shops, school or work. Or try taking the stairs instead of the escalator or lift
- active recreation - dance, gardening, DIY, rambling, health walks, walking the dog, cleaning the car
- fitness activity - joining fitness classes, power walking, jogging, cycling for fitness
- competitive and adventurous activity - team and individual sports, outdoor pursuits
- occupational activity - post deliverers, newspaper round, construction or landscaping work
- active play – free range activity in parks, streets and playgrounds
- reducing sitting – less TV and computer games.
Parks and open spaces
Visit one of our many parks and open spaces
Barnet residents are fortunate that 41% of Barnet has green space coverage, with a park or open space within one mile of the majority of homes. Whilst in the park why not make use of an Active Trail or Outdoor Gym.
Visit one of the boroughs five leisure centres, operated by Better, including the new state of the art facilities that opened this summer at New Barnet and Barnet Copthall.
Find an activity that suits you by using the Get Active London Activity Finder.
All Barnet residents are eligible for a free Fit & Active Barnet (FAB) Card, offering a range of benefits across Better leisure centres and community based activities. Register for your card now.