In light of the current COVID-19 outbreak and the government advice to stay at home, it is even more important to ensure that you take care of your mental health. You can find advice on looking after your mental health in our information on COVID-19.
Reading Well gives practical information to help readers and their families develop strategies to improve their overall health and wellbeing. The books are recommended by health professionals. Self Help books can be very effective when read on their own or when used with prescribed medication, counselling or therapy.
There are five Reading Well schemes which Barnet libraries take part in:
A new booklist to support children's mental health and wellbeing. Targeted at children in Key Stage 2 but with a range of reading levels. The books give advice about:
- maintaining good mental health and wellbeing
- managing feelings and worries
- navigating the world around you, including school and online
- dealing with bereavement and trauma
- support for living well with conditions including Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Support for common mental health conditions, including:
- anxiety and depression
- dealing with difficult feelings and experiences such as anger or bereavement
Advice about dementia for all those affected by the condition including:
- living well after diagnosis
- advice for carers
- ideas for shared therapeutic activities
Shelf Help is aimed at young people and those supporting their mental health. Chosen by young people and health experts to help with difficult feelings and experiences. The list includes fiction, memoirs and graphic novels
This collection focuses on living well with a range of common long-term health conditions, including:
- breathing difficulties
- heart disease
- irritable bowel syndrome
- sleeping difficulties
- pain management
Books are available across Barnet Libraries or can be reserved for free from our catalogue or in a library.
Mood-boosting Books is a collection of feel - good novels, poetry and non-fiction. All the books are recommended by readers and reading groups.