The area of Hadley Highstone takes its name from a monument to the Battle of Barnet. The monument is a sandstone obelisk which was originally put up by Sir Jeremy Sambrook in 1740. It reads "Here was fought the famous battle between Edward IV and the Earl of Warwick April 14th Anno 1471 in which the Earl was Defeated and Slain".
The monument was moved 180 metres to its present location around 1840. Highstone belonged to Enfield parish until 1894. There were a few houses on the eastern side of the road. The William IV public house, although added to in later centuries, is probably from the 18th century, possibly even earlier. A windmill existed at Mill Corner by the 17th century and gave its name to the Windmill Inn further up.
Highstone was originally part of an expanse of land called Enfield Chase. In 1776 the chase was divided up into "lots", and parts were sold for houses. One built by a Mr Turpin Bastick is now called "Basket's Lot".
North of Highstone is Kitts End and Wrotham Park. Wrotham Park was built by Admiral John Byng in 1754. The house was designed by Isaac Ware and copies the style of Roman buildings, a style we call Palladian. John Byng was never able to live in his new house. In 1756 he was defeated in a sea battle by the French and executed a year later for incompetence.