Grahame Park is built on the site of Hendon Aerodrome. Hendon Council began negotiations with the Air Ministry for Hendon Aerodrome as early 1945 as they needed the land for a new housing estate to replace housing destroyed during World War Two.
In 1964 the Ministry of Housing and local Government approved the project. By then Hendon Council had become part of the London Borough of Barnet Council, and Barnet worked with the Greater London Council on a joint scheme for a new town with 6,550 homes. The scheme was named Grahame Park after Claude Grahame White, and the first family moved in on October 23 1971.