The Hyde takes its name from a medieval measure of land (c1281) and was a small hamlet on the junction of the Kingsbury Road and the Edgware Road by the middle of the 16th century.
The Kings Arms may have originally been 17th century, but has been rebuilt many times. The writer Oliver Goldsmith lived at Hyde Farm between 1771 to 1774, where he wrote 'She Stoops To Conquer' and 'Animated Nature'.
The Red Lion was probably built in the 1830s. Hendon Brewery was located on the Hendon side of the Edgware Road. It was established by James Robb around 1851, but it grew to importance after it was sold to Arthur Ocran Crooke. The brewery closed in 1959. In 1913 Hendon Courthouse was opened. In 1922 Hendon opened an open air swimming pool at the Hyde.
The motor manufacturers Duple started in 1925, and they were one of the largest employers in Hendon with 800 workers. The company made cars that could be converted into vans, and were very appealing to owners of small businesses. They started to work on coaches in 1928, and even had one called the Hendonian. The factory closed in 1970.