Camping site licence

When do I Need a Camping Site Licence?

To run a camping site you need a licence from the London Borough of Barnet. The purpose of the licence is to protect the health and safety of residents (both permanent and visitors) of sites by requiring the site to comply with basic standards.

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence.   Conditions may be attached to a licence. 

A site licence remains in force until there is a change of owner or change in planning consent.

Do all camp sites require a licence?

Certain organisations e.g. Boy Scouts Association, Girl Guides Association etc. have been granted exemption certificates. The granting of such a certificate has the same effect as if a licence had been issued.

Is planning permission required?

Planning permission is required for use of land as a site for more than 28 days. 

Some sites e.g., those connected with agriculture, often have time limited planning consent. When planning consent is renewed a new licence will have to be applied for.

How do I apply for a licence?

An application for a camping site licence must be in writing and must specify the land it relates to. It must also contain prescribed particulars and be on the standard application form.  There is currently no fee for a Camping Site Licence but this is in the process of being reviewed.

Apply online

Tell us about a change to your existing caravan and/or camp site

For more information please phone 0208 359 7995 or email us.  

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. Once a valid application is received if you have not heard from the London Borough of Barnet within two months of submitting your application you will be able to act as though your application is granted. The site can then operate without a licence until one is issued.

What can I do if my application is turned down?

Please contact the London Borough of Barnet in the first instance.  If an applicant is refused a licence they may appeal to their local magistrates' court.

What Happens if the Owner Doesn't Comply with the Licence Conditions?

If the site owner does not comply with the licence conditions please contact the London Borough of Barnet
By email to

By telephone: 020 8359 7995

What happens if I sell the site?

Where there is a change of camping site owner, the licence is transferable to the new owner. You should send us the licence with a request for transfer and we will either endorse it or re-issue it.

What if I am not happy with the service?

If you have a complaint about the service that you have received from the Private Sector Housing Team you should contact the Private Sector Housing Manager on 020 8359 7995 (Lisa Morrow - Mondays and Tuesdays or Belinda Livesey - Thursdays and Fridays).