Self build and custom house building

‘Self-build' and 'custom-build' housing may be commissioned and/or built by an individual or by a group of individuals for their own use, either by building the home on their own or working with builders and contractors.

The amount of personal involvement in the building process will vary. Self-builders will physically build all or part of a home themselves.  For custom-build, a developer will seek a number of self-build clients and build their homes to their specification under a contract.

Serviced land

Serviced land is land which has access to a public highway and connections for electricity, water and waste water.

How to register interest in self-build and custom house building in Barnet

If you wish to be included on the register, please fill out the application form and return it to us. You can register either as an individual, an association or group.

We do need all the information requested to check your eligibility for inclusion on the register. Your information will also help us understand what the demand is locally.

Please note that the Government may issue further guidance, and so we may need to contact you again for more information.

Information contained in the register

In accordance with the Self-build and Custom House building (Register) Regulations 2016, the register must contain the following information:

  1. For an individual – name and address
  2. For an association or group – name and address of the association; name and address of the lead contact for the association (if different); and the number of serviced plots in Barnet that the association is seeking to acquire.

The information on the register may be updated at any time.

The Self-build and Custom House building Act 2015 places a duty on the council to keep a register of individuals and community groups, who have expressed an interest in acquiring ‘serviced land' to bring forward self-build and custom-build housing projects.

How we use the information provided

By registering your details, you are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing in Barnet. The register itself will not be a public document, but the Government guidance encourages councils to publish headline data from it as part of the Authorities Monitoring Report (AMR).

Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available

Self-build and Custom House building Register Application Form

Guidance Note to Application Form

This form should be completed electronically and returned to Alternatively, it can be returned by post addressed to the Planning Policy Team.

Related information about self build

You can also contact the Planning Policy team via email at or telephone 020 8359 4990.