Your green garden waste bin is collected fortnightly. This is an optional service.
Place your bins at the boundary of your property by 6 am on your collection day.
Put your garden waste straight into your bin, you don’t need to tie it up in bags.
You should only use your green garden bin for:
- grass cuttings
- hedge trimmings and tree cuttings
- small branches - up to 20cm in diameter (8") and under 60cm (24") in length
Do not use your green garden bin for:
- soil: this cannot be placed in your green bin but can be taken to Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre. Only six standard rubble bags or equivalent can be taken to the centre - no more than once per month per household will be accepted.
- large branches: these can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- food waste: please place in your black bin until further notice.
- nappies: these cannot be recycled and should be placed in your black bin
- black bags or plastic bags: garden waste should be placed in your bin loose as bags cannot be recycled.
- animal faeces/pet waste/used or unused pet bedding/litter: please place in your black bin
- cooking oil: this can be taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- large meat carcasses: these can be placed in a bag in your black bin or taken to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre and disposed of as household waste
- paper and cardboard: please place in your blue bin for recycling
If your item is not listed, unfortunately it cannot be recycled.
Request a green garden bin
Use the new, additional or replacement bin form to request a green garden bin. There is a charge for this. You can request and pay for up to one additional garden waste bin, however this will be subject to operational capacity.
What happens to your garden waste
Most of the organic waste we collect in Barnet is garden waste. We turn your garden waste into compost which is then used in agriculture.
Collections during cold weather
During very cold weather the contents of green bins can become frozen and stuck inside the bin. Please loosen or remove any stuck or frozen items in your bin to enable us to empty it on your collection day.