Apply to have your kerb lowered

You may need to have vehicle access to your private property from the highway. This must be done safely and legally by forming a vehicle crossing, also known as a crossover or dropped kerb.

A dropped kerb allows residents, commercial property owners, or tenants to legally cross the council maintained footway and verges.

The law does not allow you to drive over a footway or verge unless a vehicle crossing has been constructed by the council in accordance with section 184 of the Highways Act 1980.

Only the council can build vehicle crossovers, it is an offence for anyone else to make any changes to the public footway. 

From 1 April 2019, a new Domestic Crossover policy for the London Borough of Barnet is in place, following agreement at Environment Committee in September 2018.

The new policy ensures that you are fully informed of the criteria for a Domestic Crossover before you submit an application. It also considers the importance of maintaining the character of the borough, improving air quality and water drainage by encouraging residents to include some soft landscaping within the design of their forecourts and ensures that crossovers do not increase the risk and impact of flooding from non-permeable driveways.

The main changes to the policy include the following:

  • The maximum width of a crossover has been reduced to 4.2m
  • The minimum distance between crossovers has been increased to 2.4m
  • Crossovers are not to be constructed over a Highways grass verge that is more than 2m wide.
  • Where a crossover is proposed, it is essential that an appropriate boundary is provided to the remainder of the frontage to prevent illegal use of the pavement by vehicles and to maintain appearance of the street. In addition, driveways / hardstanding is required to be built using permeable material to ensure appropriate water drainage. If the application is approved, the boundary and hardstanding will need to be in place before the construction of the vehicle crossover.

Before you submit an application for a vehicle crossover, we would highly recommend that you read the Domestic Vehicle Crossover Policy (PDF 507 KB) and the


Any application that does not adhere to the policy is unlikely to be accepted and the cost of the application will not be refunded to the applicant.

Skip to:

Rate this page?