Apply for a discretionary housing payment
What is a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)
DHP can provide extra money to you or your landlord if you already receive Housing Benefit, but there is a shortfall between the rent you have to pay and the Housing Benefit you receive.
DHP is usually paid for a few months to help you through a crisis or short-term problem but can pay for longer periods in exceptional circumstances.
We’ll look at your circumstances to see if you’re eligible. We’ll then decide on the amount to award you and for how long.
Who can claim
You can claim DHP if you're currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit and require more help with housing costs.
You may be given DHP to cover housing costs, such as:
- a shortfall between rent you have to pay and the Housing Benefit you receive, if this is not for charges that Housing Benefit cannot pay for
- rent deposits or rent in advance, if you need to move home because you are living in unaffordable accommodation or are in danger of being evicted from your current home
- a reduction in your Housing Benefit due to the recent Welfare Reforms such as the Benefit Cap, the removal of the spare room subsidy in social housing, the restriction on Local Housing Allowance rates
How to apply
To apply for the DHP you will need to:
1. submit an online form on the Grant Approval website
2. upload evidence that proves your identity and shows details of your living expenses through the online form
Prepare for your DHP application
Before you start your application gather all your evidence and check you have everything you need.
If you have missing information or you don't give us your details, this will delay your application being processed or result in you not receiving a DHP payment.
You must provide a copy of your:
• passport, driving licence or other forms of identity
• bank statements or other evidence of savings dated within the last 3 months
• proof of residence such as a utility bill, Council Tax bill, tenancy agreement or similar receipts, invoice, bill or other evidence of expenditure within the last 3 months
• support worker contact details, doctors letter or other written testimonial from support agencies
• copy of your tenancy agreement
• for Universal Credit claimants we also need your latest award breakdown (these are statements which are found in the payments section of your online Universal Credit account)
To get the best outcome please ensure you supply any additional evidence as asked for in the application form.
Support completing your application
If you would like to talk to someone about the DHP or help with the online application, contact us on 020 8359 4242 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens next
How long will it take to process your application
We aim to process your application as soon as possible.
It may take longer to process your application if we need to contact you for more information.
Please make sure you submit everything you've been asked for.
How we'll contact you if we need more information
You will be sent an email.
How the DHP will be paid
The funds will be paid into the bank account details you give us.
Payments will be made to the person whose bank account details you've provided. Please make sure you provide the correct bank details.
We understand that rises in cost of living is affecting everyone differently. If you are experiencing financial difficulties there is a range of support available to you, to learn more check our Cost of Living information