Apply for Housing Benefit

Barnet is a ‘full service’ Universal Credit area, this means that in most cases you won’t need to apply for Housing Benefit, but should apply for Universal Credit, which has replaced several benefits.

When you should apply for Housing Benefit

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are in one of the following groups.

  • You live in supported exempt accommodation 
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by Barnet Homes
  • you have reached State Pension Credit age, or are part of a couple where both of you have reached state Pension Credit age. You can check when you reach State Pension Credit age 

If you do not fall into one of the groups listed above, you will need to make a claim for universal credit for help with your housing costs. 

If you are a victim of violence or in fear of violence please contact us for help with your benefit claim.

Apply for Housing Benefit

Get help with benefits

Use a benefits calculator to check what benefits you should receive or call us on 020 8359 2000.

Lines open: Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5:15pm, Friday: 9am to 5pm.

You could get help with your rent if your benefits stop.

If your circumstances change

You’ll have to tell us if your circumstances change as his can affect how much you get.