Disabled children's activities (short breaks)
Short Breaks are a range of play and leisure services for disabled children and young people.
The services are available for people who live in Barnet, from 0 to until their 19th birthday.
These services are for children and young people who need additional support to access play and leisure services.
We have a variety of organisations providing short break services available in our Short Breaks Directory
You can check the activities offered by each organisation and decide which is most suited to your child’s needs.
Who can apply
To be eligible for a short break service, the child or young person must:
- be between 0 and 19 years old (until 19th birthday)
- receive an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) + falling in one of the Groups (A or B).
- receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the middle or high rate
They must also fall under one of the following groups
Children and young people with a diagnosis of Autism.
In addition to a diagnosis of Autism, they are likely to have other impairments such as Severe Learning Disabilities.
Children in this group will display behaviour which challenges services or behaviour which causes injury to themselves or others.
Children and young people with complex health needs including those with disability and life limiting conditions resulting in a disability.
Those with associated impairments such as:
- cognitive or sensory impairments
- moving and handling needs
- require specialist trained staff and specialist equipment
In exceptional circumstances, applications for Short Breaks that fall outside of this criteria may be considered at the Disability Resource Panel (DPR).
Short Break offer
The new offer for families in Barnet is:
- 15 days or 90 hours using Barnet approved provider list
- £1200 funding via pre-paid card to allow families choice and flexibility of services
- A pro rata rate will be offered based on the date the written agreement is returned.
Children and young people with higher levels of needs maybe eligible to access additional funding for Short Breaks from the Disability Resource Panel.
All the unused funds will be recalled by midday on 28th March of the year.
Please make sure that you make all your payments before funds are recalled.
How to apply
We have made some changes to make the application process for Short Breaks easier.
You will only need to complete a new Short Breaks application for the year if:
- a new child is requesting to access the service
- you wish to request a change to the service you have been allocated
The short breaks year starts 1st of April and ends on 31st March the following year.
Any allocation or funding unused by the end of the financial year cannot be rolled over to the next financial year. FUNDS WILL BE RECALLED.
2023/24 (April to March) open from 14 January 2023 for you to apply for a Short Break provision.
Every application from that date will be processed from 1 April 2023.
You can request services for the full financial year at once.
New applications received by the 31st of March will receive the full Short Breaks and PB budget allocation. Applications received after will be allocated a pro rata rate (proportionate to the date the written agreement is received).
Please state clearly which service you're requesting for and dates.
We shall consider all applications received before the end of the financial year. We will also contact you to let you know what services we are able to offer your child.
All commissioned services are subject to availability.
Apply using our Short Breaks online application form within the My Account area
Please allow 28 working days for your application to be processed.
You will receive an email confirmation of your application with a reference number (BAR....).
For further information regarding Short Breaks:
- call 020 8359 3353 please leave a message and we will call you back as soon as possible.
- email us at Short.Breaks@Barnet.gov.uk