Disabled children's activities (short breaks)
Short Breaks are a range of play and leisure services for disabled children and young people.
The services are available for people who live in Barnet, from 0 to 19 years old (until their 19th birthday).
These services are for children and young people who need additional support to access play and leisure services.
We have a variety of organisations providing short break services available in our Short Breaks Directory
You can check the activities offered by each organisation and decide which is most suited to your child’s needs.
Who can apply
To be eligible for a short break service, the child or young person must:
- be between 0 and 19 years old (until 19th birthday)
- receive an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)
- receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the middle or high rate
They must also fall under one of the following groups:
Children and young people with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC).
In addition to ACS, they are likely to have other impairments such as Severe Learning Disabilities or challenging behaviour.
Children in this group will display behaviour which challenges services or behaviour which causes injury to themselves or others.
Children and young people with complex health needs including those with disability and life limiting conditions resulting in a disability.
Those with associated impairments such as:
- cognitive or sensory impairments
- moving and handling needs
- require specialist trained staff and specialist equipment
In exceptional circumstances, applications for Short Breaks that fall outside of this criteria may be considered at the Disability Resource Panel (DPR).
Short Break offer
The new offer for families in Barnet is:
- 15 days or 90 hours using Barnet approved provider list
- £1200 funding via pre-paid card to allow families choice and flexibility of services (subject to a 0 to 25 service funding policy and Short Breaks written agreement)
Children and young people with higher levels of needs maybe eligible to access additional funding for Short Breaks from the Children with Disabilities Funding.
Any requests that fall outside of this offer may be considered by the Disabilities Resource Panel (DRP).
All the unused funds will be recalled by midday on 28 March. Please make sure that you make all your payments in time using your account.
How to apply
We have made some changes to make the application process for Short Breaks easier.
If you already have an allocation for 2021 to 2022, you don't need to apply again to receive a short break for next year.
The short breaks year starts 1 April 2022 and ends on 31 March 2023.
Any allocation or funding unused by the end of the year cannot be rolled over to next year.
You will only need to complete a new Short Breaks application for the year 2022 to 2023 if:
- a new child is requesting to access the service
- you wish to request a change to the service you have been allocated
2022 to 2023 applications open from 14 January 2022 for you to apply for a Short Break provision.
Every application from that date will be processed from 1 April 2022
You can request services for the whole year on 1 application.
New applications received before 31 March will receive the full Short Breaks and PB budget. Applications received after will be allocated pro rata (proportionate to the date of application on the year base).
Please state clearly which service you're requesting and for which dates.
We shall consider all applications received by the closing date and will then contact you to let you know what services we are able to offer your child.
Decisions regarding Short Break Services offered will take account of the quality and value for money provided to the Council.
All services are subject to availability.
Apply using our Short Breaks online application form within the My Account area
Closing dates for application
- February half term 2022,Wednesday 12 January 2022
- Easter break 2022, Sunday 6 February 2022
- May half term 2022, Sunday 27 March 2022
- Summer 2022, Sunday 1 May 2021
- October half term 2021, Friday 26 August 2022
- Christmas 2022, Friday 7 October 2021
- February half term 2023, Wednesday 11 January 2023
Please allow 28 working days for your application to be processed.
You will receive an email confirmation of your application with a reference number (BAR....).
For further information regarding Short Breaks:
- call 020 8359 3353 please leave a message and we will call you back
- email us at Short.Breaks@Barnet.gov.uk