Rubbish on private land

We are able to investigate accumulations of waste on private land which contains materials that may provide nesting/harbourage for rats and mice (soft furnishings, mattresses etc.) and/or accumulations that contain waste that may provide food for rats and mice.

Materials such as builders waste or old appliances are not likely to provide nesting sites or food sources for rats and mice.

Waste and rubbish on a private alleyway or service road that is not adopted by the council for the purposes of cleaning and lighting will be the responsibility of the owner of the land and/or those that have rights of access over the land.

Report rubbish and waste on private land

Contact the Environmental Health Service on telephone  020 8359 7995 or email and include your address and telephone number as well as details of the premises where the accumulation exists.

Fly tipping, business waste and other enviro-crimes

The council is also targeting fly tipping, littering, dog fouling, fly tipping and commercial waste duty of care breaches. If you are caught committing one of these crimes, you could be fined and prosecuted.  Report one of these crimes.

Overgrown gardens

Although overgrown gardens can be unsightly they do not pose a threat to public health and we don't have legislative powers to require gardens to be cut back unless it is encroaching onto the public highway.

The repair of garden boundary fencing and vegetation that crosses the boundary fencing is dealt with as a civil matter and we don't get involved in these disputes. We would suggest you seek legal advice regarding any civil issues.

Barnet residents may dispose of waste materials at the Civic Amenity and Recycling Centre in Summers Lane, North Finchley, N12 0RF.