Asbestos in schools
Received: 19 August 2019
Dear Sir/ Madam
Please can you provide me with:
1. The names of the schools in your area that contain asbestos. Ideally, I would like this broken down into type of asbestos (white, brown and/or blue).
2. The date and outcome of the last independent audit or inspection of each of these schools Asbestos Management Plans.
3. The details of any reported incidents of asbestos exposure in these schools between 2010 and 2019.
4. Details of any improvement or prohibition notice served or guidance issued by the HSE in relation to the management of asbestos in schools in your area in the last 5 years.
5. The number of school employees (existing and retired staff to include teaching staff, school support staff and caretakers, etc) and ex-pupils that have pursued a claim against the Council for exposure to asbestos within a school in your area.
6. The number of these claims that have been settled.
7. The amount of money that has been paid in settlement of these claims (with and without your authority accepting responsibility).
8. The details of training offered to school governors, teachers or similar who carry out an inspection.
9. The number of 'System-Built Schools' in your area.
10. The number of schools that have dealt with a leaky roof or a broken window or a damaged wall panel, during the past 5 years. (i.e. where the fabric of the building has been disturbed).
11. Finally, details of when and why you have commissioned emergency asbestos air testing across your school's estate.
I understand that under the Act I am entitled to a response within 20 working days of your receipt of this request. Some parts of the request may be easier to answer than others. Should this be the case, I request that you release information as soon as possible.
If my request is denied in whole or in part, I ask that you justify all deletions by reference to specific exemptions of the Act. I will also expect you to release all non-exempt material. I reserve the right to appeal your decision to withhold any information or to charge excessive fees.
I would prefer to receive the information electronically.
If you require any clarification, please contact me in accordance with your duty under Section 16 to provide advice and assistance if you find any aspect of this FoI request problematic.
Please acknowledge receipt of this request by email. I look forward to receiving the information in the near future.